• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help! AMD FX 8350 Overheating!!!

Normally it is one or more of too much paste, not seated right bad air flow or cooler not up to the job or the fan has stopped.
Its possible the cooler isn't seated properly but its been taken off twice already and I can assure you its been installed correctly. I have also added the right amount of thermal paste. Air flow and cooling is also fine.

The only thing I can think of that it might be is the PSU or something. Currently watching the XBOX E3 show on YouTube and my CPU is reading 65c in Speedfan.

Could you confirm your cpu v-core either in hwmonitor or cpu-z when at idle and under load? As I don't believe the value i'm seeing in your hwmonitor screen print, but it might be excessively high.

Could you confirm your cpu v-core either in hwmonitor or cpu-z when at idle and under load? As I don't believe the value i'm seeing in your hwmonitor screen print, but it might be excessively high.
IDLE
1zlwxvs.png

Under-Load watching XBOX E3 show @1080p
10ngobq.png

Thanks for the screenies, ok yeah 1.38v is stock voltage.
And the 212 is okish at holding an fx8 at around 4.2-4.3ghz at 1.3-1.4v, temps would be in 60's normally with that cooler.

Testing that the heatsink mating face of the cooler was properly making contact with cpu when you took of the cooler to reseat, you could also feel the heatsink with fingers to see if heat transferring to the cooler pipes.

What is the make of the psu you have?

Thanks for the screenies, ok yeah 1.38v is stock voltage.
And the 212 is okish at holding an fx8 at around 4.2-4.3ghz at 1.3-1.4v, temps would be in 60's normally with that cooler.

Testing that the heatsink mating face of the cooler was properly making contact with cpu when you took of the cooler to reseat, you could also feel the heatsink with fingers to see if heat transferring to the cooler pipes.

What is the make of the psu you have?
Just been checking the copper wiping on the 212 cooler and they seem cool under load which I don't think should be normal? They should at least be hot?

I have the Corsair CX550M PSU.

Last edited:
One sympton I had of a poorly psu was high idle/ load temps with an instant shutdown after a very short period of time. That psu should and probably is fine but of course may not be.

It's hard to rule out the culprit,
Say the machine was turned off for a few hours and from a cold boot you then loaded up hwmonitor and observed temps whilst loading up the cpu, how quickly do the temos ramp up is it instantly to 60-70c then 80c or gradually ?

One sympton I had of a poorly psu was high idle/ load temps with an instant shutdown after a very short period of time. That psu should and probably is fine but of course may not be.

It's hard to rule out the culprit,
Say the machine was turned off for a few hours and from a cold boot you then loaded up hwmonitor and observed temps whilst loading up the cpu, how quickly do the temos ramp up is it instantly to 60-70c then 80c or gradually ?
For example, I ran Prime95 for under 2 minutes and the temps reached 83/84c then shut down. The temps risen fairly quickly.

Another example would be when in Overwatch in compet it would shut down before the game ended.

Testing DOOM using the Vulkin API it lasted just over 5 minutes again reaching high temps fairly quickly.

Seems to shutdown once the CPU heats too 83c.

For example, I ran Prime95 for under 2 minutes and the temps reached 83/84c then shut down. The temps risen fairly quickly.

Another example would be when in Overwatch in compet it would shut down before the game ended.
Just been checking the copper wiping on the 212 cooler and they seem cool under load which I don't think should be normal? They should at least be hot?
I've seen this type of behaviour before but only on water cooled systems with dying/inadequate pumps. Essentially they couldn't transfer the heat from the CPU to the radiators quickly enough, it's possible you may be experiencing a similar issue.

If the is proper contact between the heatsink/IHS then I would agree with Humbug that the issue may lie below the IHS...

*Update*

I came to the conclusion that my Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler was broken, maybe it was a solder or heat spreader problem, at full load at 75-80c the copper wipes seemed really cool so I knew that the issue was within the cooler.

I dismounted the 212 cooler this morning and refitted my stock 8350 cooler, everything is fine now and temps are back to normal.

*Update*

I came to the conclusion that my Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler was broken, maybe it was a solder or heat spreader problem, at full load at 75-80c the copper wipes seemed really cool so I knew that the issue was within the cooler.

I dismounted the 212 cooler this morning and refitted my stock 8350 cooler, everything is fine now and temps are back to normal.

I've never heard of an air cooler breaking its usually the mechanical parts. Either way glad its fixed.

*Update*

When you took the 212 off did it look like it had been making proper contact? Could be that it's not broken and it was a manufacturing defect with it's backplate or maybe they sent the wrong spacers with it /shrug.

When you took the 212 off did it look like it had been making proper contact? Could be that it's not broken and it was a manufacturing defect with it's backplate or maybe they sent the wrong spacers with it /shrug.
Yeah it had been making contact definitely it was covered in thermal paste.
I've never heard of an air cooler breaking its usually the mechanical parts. Either way glad its fixed.
Same here it really baffled me as to why it wasn't keeping the CPU cool under load. And thanks, think I will stick with the stock cooler for a bit.

Yeah it had been making contact definitely it was covered in thermal paste.

Same here it really baffled me as to why it wasn't keeping the CPU cool under load. And thanks, think I will stick with the stock cooler for a bit.

I wonder if one of the heatpipes has leaked or something?? IIRC,it uses an internal wick with liquid to transfer heat away and if there is a leak or the material used has started to deteriorate it would cause cooling problems I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom