Help an AMD newb to do it the right way (Windows + drivers)

Associate
Ok, so I've been having some trouble since installing windows (10 then 11) on my new AMD build, with the the GPU drivers. On the desktop, the mouse will freeze then the screen goes black for a few seconds, then this repeats itself until I get this message "Radeon software and driver versions do not match" and "The version of AMD Radeon Software you have launched in not compatible" and/or "amd crash defender has detected an issue with your display driver. The display driver is now operating in safe mode", after which it defaults to a generic driver. I've tried various fixes, but seem to be going around in circles.

Anyway, having decided to do a fresh Windows 10 install, I'm hoping some of you seasoned AMD users out there can give me the best (least problematic) way to install drivers after the O.S is installed, and the best drivers to use (windows own, Gigabytes or AMD's).

I don't need(?) any fancy features other than the ability to cap the framerate to 60 (until I get a new monitor).

Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.2)
7800x3d
7900xt, which I haven't installed yet. Just using the igpu for now.

Thanks.

Soldato
From AMD directly. I would make sure you're on the latest BIOS first before installing. Then proceed to install Windows afterwards.

Chipset next: https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am5/b650.html

Then GPU (this should cover both 7900XT and IGP): https://www.amd.com/en/support/down...eon-rx-7000-series/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt.html

After that Windows drivers are usually good enough for the rest of the hardware.

I would try RAM at stock speeds (XMP/EXPO off) in case it's a stability issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
100% onboard with the no XMP/EXPO initially.

Had issues on my new build runningat 6000Hz despite RAM being rated for it, took me a few weeks to figure it out. Dialed it down to 5200HZ and it was rock solid.
Wierdly never failed a benchmark, stability test at 6K, would just have random wobblies in general use.

Back up to 5800Hz now, might pop at 6K at some point, however given the benchmark difference with a 7800X3D was <1% I don't think I care at this point.

Man of Honour
are you running overclocks or expo - if so, disable it and ensure it's stable
once stable, update bios through bios...or if the system is still unstable despite default settings, use the bios flashback feature without cpu/ram
install win 11
use the oobe/bypassnro feature and get though the settings without connecting through internet
once in windows install chipset drivers, then gpu drivers
then connect to internet

ps: anything above 5200mhz on ram is considered overclocking, so silicon lottery applies
you may need to tinker with voltages/speed/timings, and may never get 100% stable despite tinkering, which means you've rolled a hard 1 on the dice

Code:
Max Memory Speed
2x1R	DDR5-5200
2x2R	DDR5-5200
4x1R	DDR5-3600
4x2R	DDR5-3600

Associate
OP
I did/do have expo enabled. Would that show stability issues (if there is a problem there), in general windows usage?, since without the amd gpu (or other?) driver running, I've not had any issues.

(thanks for the inputs so far)

Man of Honour
On the desktop, the mouse will freeze then the screen goes black for a few seconds, then this repeats itself until I get this message "Radeon software and driver versions do not match" and "The version of AMD Radeon Software you have launched in not compatible" and/or "amd crash defender has detected an issue with your display driver. The display driver is now operating in safe mode", after which it defaults to a generic driver. I've tried various fixes, but seem to be going around in circles.​
Have you tried different versions? It might just be a bugged driver package.

Man of Honour
Tbh I got that bogged down with it, I'm not sure. I did use the auto-detect package at one point.
I'd try downloading a really old one, like maybe a month or two after your card was released, e.g.

(About half way down the page)
The AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.2.1 installation package can be downloaded from the following link:

By clicking the Download button, you are confirming that you have read and agreed to be bound by the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement (“EULA”). If you do not agree to the terms and conditions of these licenses, you do not have a license to any of the AMD software provided by this download.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
From AMD directly. I would make sure you're on the latest BIOS first before installing. Then proceed to install Windows afterwards.

Chipset next: https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am5/b650.html

Then GPU (this should cover both 7900XT and IGP): https://www.amd.com/en/support/down...eon-rx-7000-series/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt.html

After that Windows drivers are usually good enough for the rest of the hardware.

I would try RAM at stock speeds (XMP/EXPO off) in case it's a stability issue.

Followed all that this afternoon and still the same

Untitled.jpg

amd-adrenalin-message.jpg

The thing is, without the driver running, I was able to use windows and rip my music cd's all morning without any issues whatsoever. I did try the older driver suggested, but it came back with something about 'unsupported hardware' during the installation. I guess I could try installing the gfx card (and see how that goes) , but was hoping to nip this in the bud first.

Man of Honour
it came back with something about 'unsupported hardware' during the installation. I guess I could try installing the gfx card (and see how that goes) , but was hoping to nip this in the bud first.
I suspect what's happening is what Orcvader has suggested, that you're getting a conflict with the IGP. The driver I linked you was meant for the 7900 XT and would likely be too old to support the IGP in your CPU.

Soldato
Just to wrap this up, I installed the gfx card, disabled the igpu in bios, successfully installed the latest drivers, and everything is working as it should.

Thanks guys.
Glad you got it sorted but the first thing I do is disable iGPU in BIOS before even thinking of instelling windows if the discrete card POST's ok then you're good to go leaving both can lead to other issues as well games can often pick the wrong device for example

Back
Top Bottom