help! CPU fan won't start :(

Soldato
Hi all,

Recently purchased a bit of an upgrade for my system.

Got a Gigabyte DS4 mobo, Conroe 6600 Chip, Geil 2gb DDR mem, Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler, and a new case to put it all in.

Put it all together today and when checking it all booted up OK everything seems to work (I get a POST screen on my computer) but my CPU fan on my freezer7 ain't starting up.

It starts for like a split second and then just stops, the BIOS screen shows it'd detected my CPU and the memory and my graphics card fans switch on fine.

I tried unplugging and plugging the CPU fan cable back in again but it made no difference. it's definetly in the right way as there's only one way you CAN plug it in anyways.

All cables elsewhere seem fine (got the 8 pin cable, regular 4 pin 12v cable, and the 24 pin main power cable all plugged in)

*Edit* My PSU is a Seasonic S12 600W

HELP! :O

Last edited:
Associate
Could it be that your temps were pretty cool so the fan doesnt need to spin??

Try playing a game or run a cpu benchmark program and see if it comes on when your cpu temp increases.

Soldato
OP
Resolved,

Set cpu fan from auto to PWN in the bios.

then had a problem where windows setup wouldn't let me use my keyboard so had to enable USB support for that and the mouse in BIOS too.

Currently formatting my drive for windows now :)

Caporegime
Eulogy said:
Resolved,

Set cpu fan from auto to PWN in the bios.

then had a problem where windows setup wouldn't let me use my keyboard so had to enable USB support for that and the mouse in BIOS too.

Currently formatting my drive for windows now :)

what is PWN? i would connect it up to the psu just to be safe, then it runs at full speed all the time

Associate
I wouldn't worry about it, mine runs at 26-30 degrees and the fun is constantly turning itself off. I think my fan started turning itself on when it hit 25. It doesnt even spin that fast (600-815rpm)

Soldato
Meh, i had the same thing then i turned all the fan control stuff off in the bios and now i just use speedfan to control cpu fan speeds, although it reads the speeds wrong sometimes(16000rpm? lol).

Back
Top Bottom