[HELP - Earn £30!] i7 3770k + Asus P8Z68-V Pro + Corsair 16GB + GTX 680 - no boot

Associate
Afternoon All,

I hope you can help me with this problem. I have just finished building my second system but it just doesn't boot. The specs are as follows:

NZXT Phantom Black Full Tower Case
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Socket 1155
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Low Profile
Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 2GB Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E
Crucial 256GB M4 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read 500MB/s Write 260MB/s
Western Digital 2TB SATA 6Gbps - Caviar Green
OCZ ZX Series 850W 80+ GOLD PSU Fully Modular PSU
LiteOn iHAS124 SATA DVD Optical Drive | OEM
Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator and Fan Socket LGA1366, LGA1156, LGA1155

I work in the ICT industry so I obviously know my way around a computer. I have previously built a system but it was a year and a half ago.

The main problem I have at the moment is that the system does not post. This is the exact series of events that happens:

1. Press the power button
2. CPU LED on mobo flashes on for half a second.
3. RAM LED flashes on for half a second
4. CPU LED flashes for a split second
5. RAM LED flashes on for a second
6. CPU LED flashes on
7. All power is suddenly lost. All lights go out except the power and reset lights on the motherboard.
8. After about 5 seconds, the computer restarts, all lights come on and the process starts again.

I have been extremely careful to handle the components carefully without touching anything that would short them out. I have tried the standard fixes, have used each single RAM module in each slot and the system does the same process.

I have another RAM set, 16GB (4x4gb) standard Corsair Vengance with the heat spreaders and have tried each of these modules in each slot (yes that is 32 different combinations of RAM with 8 different modules) and still the same sequence. Please note that these modules ARE on the motherboard compatibility list.

I have checked the processor and it is firmly secured on the motherboard. I have checked for any bent pins extremely closely and there arent any.

I have tried without any other PCIe cards in including the graphics card and the same problem.

I have tried with the standard CPU cooler instead of the D14 and the same problem.

I have RMA'd my first motherboard and got a replacement P8Z68 Pro (exactly the same motherboard) and the same problem. Exactly the same.

I have taken the whole computer apart again, every single cable and component and rebuilt it from scratch and I get the same problem.

I researched this computer very extensively because I wanted a beast of a machine and so far all I have had is a week of pain trying to get it to work. The PSU is capable of handling the system so I really unsure what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

So far I am ruling out:

Motherboard (tried 2 different mobos)
RAM (tried 8 different modules)
Maybe CPU (tried reseating and checked for any bent pins
Graphics card (tried without and same problem)
CPU Heatsink and Fans (tried D14 and the standard from intel same problem)
Cables not being plugged in correctly (rebuilt whole computer)

If you need any pictures/videos let me know. If your help causes the PC to work I will personally transfer £30 (37 euro) via paypal to you.

Soldato
I think it could be a PSU compatibility problem? I had a problem with an MSI board and Coolermaster PSU that did the exact same loop of turning off and on repeatedly.

Turns out that the PSU power up response time was too short for the motherboard.

So try a different PSU if you can.

If you have a system speaker connector plug it in as well to try and hear what beeps (if any) the motherboard gives off.

RJC

RJC

Don
Hello amd welcome to the forum :)

It could be a problem with the CPU, as this seems to be the only component not changed (also the PSU).

I assume all power connections are tight including the 8 pin for CPU power.

Associate
OP
moogle
Hello there, starting to think the PSU could be the problem but hesitant to spend another £120+ on a PSU if I'm not sure that is the exact problem. Have plugged in the mobo speaker but when turning on no sound is played. Read somewhere this is related to the RAM shorting out the CPU?

Interestingly when having no RAM sticks in at all, the speaker gives the generic "no RAM" response beeps.

RJC
Hey there and thanks :) Yes I diagnose broken PCs on a daily basis so I can tell when the cables are in tight and the RAM as well, that satifsying click. Just to be safe though, I have just unplugged both 24 and 8 pin cables from the mobo and PSU and the same problem happens.

Associate
OP
My sister user a laptop and my parents have all-in ones :/ my brother is currently at university and has my very old PC OCZ 650W GTX 460 etc and lives 200 miles away so he doesnt come here often.

It must be noted that I have literally just built this system so I am within the 30 day return limit on amazon/******, so can RMA the PSU but again that will take a lot of time, especially with the Bank Holidays coming up. Amazon got my RMA motherboard sent to me next-day delivery but it would be Thursday before a replacement PSU got to me - if thats what you think could work, then I can try it I guess.

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
The OCZ from your brothers would be fine, unles you purchase another cheaper alternative to test, anything over 450w from a quality brand would be fine.

Your system at startup would pull around 230-300w max!

Associate
OP
Just texted him and he isnt coming down until end of July at the earliest and I cant wait that long :p Yes I took out all unnecessary things like GPU so an 850 should be able to handle it!

RJC

RJC

Don
Ah, thats a pain :(

In post 3 I mentioned regards power connectors, I know you mentioned that you know yor way around a system and not insulting your intelligence, but are all power connectors in and include the 8 pin for CPU power, this often gets missed :)

Also CMOS reset!

Associate
OP
Yes have double checked this one cos its a silly mistake to make. 24 and 8 pin in the motherboard, the standard Sata power cables in the HDD and CD R/W. These all clicked nicely into place.

Soldato
moogle
Hello there, starting to think the PSU could be the problem but hesitant to spend another £120+ on a PSU if I'm not sure that is the exact problem. Have plugged in the mobo speaker but when turning on no sound is played. Read somewhere this is related to the RAM shorting out the CPU?

Interestingly when having no RAM sticks in at all, the speaker gives the generic "no RAM" response beeps.

Well if you have anyone to borrow a PSU from you can try that? Doesn't have to be powerful, just plug in the basic components (CPU, MOBO and RAM) and run off the iGPU.

It uses very little power from what I've seen on my electricity meter.

Whereabouts are you maybe someone can help and lend you a spare PSU.

Also it could be that your Z68 board doesn't support the new i7 CPU's without a motherboard bios update.

Have a check and see if it has a bios update online that allows it to use a 3770K cpu.

Associate
OP
Hmm moodle I am in Banbury near Oxford and I don't know anyone who I could borrow a PSU from. I checked everything but the motherboard and did not even know there was a Z77 out so really regret not getting that Mobo instead.

idleman
Im not sure how I can update the bios if the Pc doesnt even boot?

Another option would be to send back the Z68 and just buy a Z77 and see if that helps?

Associate
Yes have double checked this one cos its a silly mistake to make. 24 and 8 pin in the motherboard, the standard Sata power cables in the HDD and CD R/W. These all clicked nicely into place.

Really sounds like an odd problem you have, Have you tried pressing the button that clears the RAM and sets it back to a setting the board can handle, its up on the top right, directly next to the fourth ram slot, start the system up and push it, If that still does nothing have you tried using just the 24-pin connector and seeing if it posts, (without the CPU 8-pin) my p67 wouldn't post with 8-pin in because the socket was broken,

Any signs of burns on the board or on any of the psu connectors showing signs of possible short outs?

Soldato
Hmm moodle I am in Banbury near Oxford and I don't know anyone who I could borrow a PSU from. I checked everything but the motherboard and did not even know there was a Z77 out so really regret not getting that Mobo instead.

Another option would be to send back the Z68 and just buy a Z77 and see if that helps?

Ahh that's far, perhaps someone nearby might see this thread and offer to help.

I'd suggest trying a Z77 board as it could be the reason why you can't boot.

I have a feeling it may be the root cause of the problem.

Associate
OP
just read this while browsing google: "z68's should run IB cpu's fine as you said with a BIOS update.. you would have to look on the Asus site for the correct latest BIOS.. as to performance with the CPU should be similar but will come down to the chip itself.."

Wondering if this is the underlying problem then.

bezza
I have tryied the MemOK button if that is the one you mean, but it doesnt appear to change anything, the same light sequence comes on. Sometimes it does cause the RAM LED to flash quickly, indicating that the board is actually going to do something but then power is lost again.

Will try without the 8 pin in a second but not sure because this is the second mobo I have tried. Neither show any visible burns or blown capacitors. The cables from the PSU to the mobo also look fine.

Soldato
Like Bezza said, try flashing without the CPU. Check the manual it will tell you how to place the BIOS file on the USB and what to name it and which USB port to put it in.

Then if you do the offline flash it will update the bios and hopefully if that's what's causing the boot problems then you'll have a working system.

Associate
just read this while browsing google: "z68's should run IB cpu's fine as you said with a BIOS update.. you would have to look on the Asus site for the correct latest BIOS.. as to performance with the CPU should be similar but will come down to the chip itself.."

Wondering if this is the underlying problem then.

bezza
I have tryied the MemOK button if that is the one you mean, but it doesnt appear to change anything, the same light sequence comes on. Sometimes it does cause the RAM LED to flash quickly, indicating that the board is actually going to do something but then power is lost again.

Will try without the 8 pin in a second but not sure because this is the second mobo I have tried. Neither show any visible burns or blown capacitors. The cables from the PSU to the mobo also look fine.

Yeah that is what I meant, If it does boot without the CPU power 8-pin then you should be able to access the bios, If you can, Download the latest bios on the website and pop it onto a memory stick, then it should be easy peasy to update the bios, Shut down and plug the 8 pin CPU connector back in and hey presto it should boot fine, If not take the CPU out and try seeing if it will boot. :)

Soldato
OH ITS THE MOTHERBOARD AND PROCESSOR the z68 was designed to work with sandy bridge processors and the ivybridge is designed to work with z77 motherboards you either need to buy a z77 motherboard or you need to go out and borrow a sandybridge and update the bios as the newer bios's will suport the ivybridge cpu

Back
Top Bottom