[HELP] Explorer suddenly very slow but comes and goes?

Associate
OP
To be honest, I'd have reinstalled Windows weeks ago - it would have been a far quicker solution.
You may be right but I have an absolute ton of software and games on it along with a load of peripherals so it's not a 5min job to get it all back up and running and from the limited similar issues I've read about online a Windows install might not even fix it.

Permabanned
You may be right but I have an absolute ton of software and games on it along with a load of peripherals so it's not a 5min job to get it all back up and running and from the limited similar issues I've read about online a Windows install might not even fix it.

You joking me? who you trying to kid... lol

18 Mar 2021 at 17:41 - First Post
8 Jun 2021 at 17:52 - Last Post

You telling me you could have formatted + reinstalled the stuff you need bit by bit within this time? :D

Associate
OP

You telling me you could have formatted + reinstalled the stuff you need bit by bit within this time? :D
lol Well it's not like I spent that whole duration starting at the screen hoping it would fix itself, I've just not had the solid block of time to actually document all my software settings and peripheral settings and all the nuances that go along with them and all the little fixes and tweaks I've done to Windows to get it everything working. I have a week off work coming up soon so maybe I'll start that process then.

It's one of those problems that isn't a massive issue that stops the PC from working so sub consciously it's not a major concern, however whenever I right click something or try to save something I'm instantly reminded of exactly how annoying it is and that I need to sort it out. You are right though, I need to start chipping away at it and make it happen.

Permabanned
lol Well it's not like I spent that whole duration starting at the screen hoping it would fix itself, I've just not had the solid block of time to actually document all my software settings and peripheral settings and all the nuances that go along with them and all the little fixes and tweaks I've done to Windows to get it everything working. I have a week off work coming up soon so maybe I'll start that process then.

It's one of those problems that isn't a massive issue that stops the PC from working so sub consciously it's not a major concern, however whenever I right click something or try to save something I'm instantly reminded of exactly how annoying it is and that I need to sort it out. You are right though, I need to start chipping away at it and make it happen.

You see that's where you going wrong lol. It actually doesn't take long to format it's what have you done along the way that is the issue.

For Example;
> All data on another drive i.e NAS, EXT HDD etc
> Use an up to date ISO of windows so it doesn't take long to get latest update.
> Only install stuff you play (games wise)
> Don't customise your machine as much as you want too.

Man of Honour

Doesn't make it any less of a ball-ache and something you'd rather not do if you can avoid. Even with everything backed up and mostly imaged it isn't something I hurry to do.

For instance I've some older software which doesn't run out the box and had to use some weird and wonderful tweaks to get working that I'm not 100% on what I did :s

Man of Honour
For the sake of couple months worth of issues it's much better to format.

For one you don't necessarily know it is going to be that up front. And there is almost always something you forget to document or backup, etc. as to how you did it which makes the whole thing a pain.

Permabanned
For one you don't necessarily know it is going to be that up front. And there is almost always something you forget to document or backup, etc. as to how you did it which makes the whole thing a pain.

Would never be a pain if you did like what I mentioned above. Take an image if you really have to with a quick restore can be done in under 30 mins back to working.

Man of Honour
Would never be a pain if you did like what I mentioned above.

I wonder if some people actually use their PCs (the Windows 10 thread especially makes me wonder why some people even bother with Windows) :s I have all kinds of things that would have to be redone like MarkC mouse tweaks, registry edits to adjust use of space in title bars, older software compatibility considerations, etc. that what you talked about doesn't even touch on.

Even just remembering to do lots of little things like adjusting Windows sound settings so it doesn't mute audio during communications and disabling exclusive mode, etc.

It is far less of a ball-ache if you can find a fix avoiding all that.

EDIT: Oh and disabling those ****** filter keys settings which I always seem to forget until the first time they interrupt me in a game.

Associate
OP
You see that's where you going wrong lol. It actually doesn't take long to format it's what have you done along the way that is the issue.

For Example;
> All data on another drive i.e NAS, EXT HDD etc
> Use an up to date ISO of windows so it doesn't take long to get latest update.
> Only install stuff you play (games wise)
> Don't customise your machine as much as you want too.
I already have back ups of everything, it's just all the little annoying things and fixes for various things I've had to do over the past few years to get software and hardware to play nice with eachother. For example when I first built it I had to add time delays on boot up to some of the motherboards software because it was playing havoc with some other thing unless it booted after that thing (can't remember what it was now).

It took me ages to figure out what the issue was and find a workaround and I can't even remember what it was now, and I know there have been a fair few other things like that along the way which I've had to implement weird little fixes for for one reason or another.

Another example was a set of foot switches I have setup, I could not for the life of me figure out why I couldn't use the provided software to bind the switches to what I wanted. After a LOT of messing about I figured out that for some weird reason I had to unplug my Logitech keyboard and Razor keypad in order to bind the foot switch keys, but how do you do that with no keyboard plugged in? Well I had to bind the desired keys to my mouse, then I could use the mouse to then bind the keys into the foot switch software.

I've also had some odd behaviour setting up Afterburners OSD, for whatever reason the options I wanted just would not work, no amount of looking online found me the answer but somehow I got it working so I've never touched it since.

My AIO CPU cooler (NZXT Kracken x62) has some weird software quirks as well, you can only control the pumps speed via USB, not via a mobo fan header like most water pumps but for whatever reason the NZXT CAM software always messes up my pump speed so I can't remember how but there was a very weird order I had to do things in and literally never open that CAM software again because the second I did, it just reverted everything back to default. NZXT customer service were less than useless, they didn't have a clue how their own software and hardware worked so didn't have the slightest clue how to help let alone even understand what the problem was.

The reinstallation of Windows is fine on its own as is for my current games (once I've documented all my settings and keybinds). It's not a big issue at all but getting everything back to where it should be will take time and no doubt some headaches because of the problems I'll face.

Man of Honour
While there are some fixes out there not all can be solved without a format though.

Sadly that is true - I had to wipe out all my Firefox data and start from scratch with the 89 update or I couldn't play any DRM protected content in HD and there was no two ways around it :( but for someone with an extensive software environment it is very much a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom