Help Fixing Grounding Issue (Sound Interference)

Associate
I recently got a USB Razer Kraken 7.1 headset, which is now the SECOND one I have used as I got it replaced for what I thought and their support had said was faulty, as I'm always getting a humming sound, that increases in volume along with whatever is playing out the headset.
Also the sound quality (of what I can hear) is bad.

I have used a USB headset in the past, and had to send it back also for the same problem but now Im sure it wasnt the headset but my PC.

Could it be a grounding problem?

Im noob when it comes to this stuff so I thought I would get help from the pro's.

Here is a pic of the inside of my pc, bit messy but any advice on what may help stop this issue Im getting?

http://i61.tinypic.com/13z5mie.jpg

Thank you.

----
Its either fixing the problem, or getting this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-001-AS which is on offer, and sticking to my current steel series jack headset.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could try attaching a cable from the metal on your PC case, to a radiator or something?

I'm not really sure what could help, but if its a grounding issue, the cable (Or wire) attached to a radiator should ground the case.

Soldato
Hmmm well it isn't really related but my sound blaster had big interference due to EMI on the front panel coming from my GPU's.

But I doubt EMI is the cause, as that tends to be in the case.
Have you tried using different USB parts, including the ones on the front of your case?

You should try the cable to radiator thing, to see if it helps at all.

Associate
what usb port are you plugging it into ?
could be intereference from
video card
also try running video direct from your mobo , ie try it without the graphics card installed.
psu
do you have another to try

Associate
Try it on a powered usb hub or a laptop using only its battery for power.

This will rule out ripple on the usb power rail.

Associate
Plug the usb headset to a usb hub but do not connect the hub to the pc.

If there is no humming then the hum is most probably coming from the pc and it is being passed to your headset.

If there is humming noise then two things can cause it,

The headset is faulty or it's very sensitive and is picking up noise around it.

The usb hub supply has lots ripple but it's most probably the former than the usb supply though.

It will probably help if you record the noise and upload it somewhere so it can be listened to.

Associate
OP
Plug the usb headset to a usb hub but do not connect the hub to the pc.

If there is no humming then the hum is most probably coming from the pc and it is being passed to your headset.

If there is humming noise then two things can cause it,

The headset is faulty or it's very sensitive and is picking up noise around it.

The usb hub supply has lots ripple but it's most probably the former than the usb supply though.

It will probably help if you record the noise and upload it somewhere so it can be listened to.

I have tried the usb hub, no static when its plugged into pc, so it is the computer, damn.

I can try to record it, but it could be anything in the pc right?

Associate
Just in case try disabling C1E in the bios if you haven`t already i had nasty static noise at a low level from my pci soundcard which cleared up after disabling it.
It`s a well known issue apparently.

Associate
OP
Just in case try disabling C1E in the bios if you haven`t already i had nasty static noise at a low level from my pci soundcard which cleared up after disabling it.
It`s a well known issue apparently.

Tried that, still hissing.

With no sound playing it is quite on desktop with no audio, but as soon as i turn the volume on the sound control to 68 i get the hiss, at 67 nothing.

After not playing sound for a minute i can turn the volume up to 100 with no hiss. but as soon as i play a sound the hiss comes back and i have to turn it to 67.

But thats not the problem, there is still a hiss every time sound is played through the headset, in videos for example, when no-one is talking, there is no hiss, when they are talking the hiss comes in.

silent

'start hiss' Person talking 'endhiss'

Sorry Im not good at explaining things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom