Help! GPU issue

Associate
Hey guys,

I've just bought a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce 8GB from the MM, it arrived a few days ago and i've had trouble getting my motherboard to see it. I have an Asrock H81 Pro BTC r2.0. I have upgraded to the latest bios possible but this did not help. My old GTX 670 runs fine in the PC - worth noting when i install the new card it feels like it doesnt fit as nicely as my old card but doesnt seem loose or not fit properly, im not sure if thats just because its a bigger unit. Card is connected with a 4-pin socket and fans are spinning.

I'm lost! Any ideas, thanks.

Edit: I don’t have another pc to test the card in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you sure the 2 metal tabs that go between the edge of the motherboard and the case aren't catching on something? If they are, the card might not be completely inserted into the PCI-E slot.

Soldato
Card is connected with a 4-pin socket and fans are spinning

you need a pci express 8 pin power cable connected to that card, by the sounds of it your using a 4pin cable that should be used for the motherboard cpu power instead, for saftey disconnect any cables going to the card and check your psu manual to find the correct cable to use, hopefully the card still works afterwards

Associate
OP
you need a pci express 8 pin power cable connected to that card, by the sounds of it your using a 4pin cable that should be used for the motherboard cpu power instead, for saftey disconnect any cables going to the card and check your psu manual to find the correct cable to use, hopefully the card still works afterwards
the PSU is a Corsair CX500, it has two GPU power connections, 2x 3pin connectors with an additional pin i assume to make it 2 x4pin connections? I am using one of those to power the card. Perhaps my PSU is outdated and newer one would have the connection i need?

Soldato
we need to see pictures of the connections of your psu, regarding the wattage that should be ok, just depends how old it is?, if old then yes i'd recommend buying another psu and to cover your self look at 650w units (£50-70) range, dont cheep out on a £20 special.

as above that cx 500 will have pci express cables that are 6+2 which is the correct connection for a gpu that needs a 8pin or 6pin, the 6+2 means you can use either depending which card you own.

Associate
Photos would definitely help. 4-pin is usually cpu power, not pcie. Was it a struggle to get them to fit?

(Edit) I just checked the specs and the cx500 has a 6+2 connector, which is the one you want. I'd suggest unplugging all the cables and checking them over.

Back
Top Bottom