HELP...HAD A DISASTER

Soldato
well my files were backed up on 2 hard drives on my pc...

Not to make a dig at you, but that's not a backup!!

It might be stored on a secondary drive, but what if your PC was stolen, or had caught fire, or house had flooded. Along goes your backup.

Backups need to be offsite or on the cloud.

Soldato
I've always used GetDataBack, going back years. Only last week I used it to recover 95% of 800GB on a USB drive that someone had accidently formatted.

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

I went to install this but it's warning about installing it on the same drive as the drive you're recovering files from. I was going to try it to recover items that Windows 10 auto-deleted from my downloads folder... (Storage Sense). Do I really have to remove the drive and recover from another PC or this a precautionary message?:confused:

Caporegime
Fortunately it's quite easy to get data back from a freshly formatted drive, as long as you don't do the type of format which overwrites every sector with blank values.

Glad you got it all back :)

Associate
I went to install this but it's warning about installing it on the same drive as the drive you're recovering files from. I was going to try it to recover items that Windows 10 auto-deleted from my downloads folder... (Storage Sense). Do I really have to remove the drive and recover from another PC or this a precautionary message?:confused:

It's always best to remove the drive and run the recovery on a different computer. If not you can use a bootable USB/DVD.

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm

Soldato
Right but is it just precautionary? I'm not going to delete anything. I presumed I could mount the partition before recovering, like with veeam etc? I just tried the live cd and the touchpad didn't work unfortunately. It's a surface pro 4 too so only 1 x usb port:p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom