[Help] info on Gentoo Linux

Associate
Hey people i need abit of information and comparison

Basically im currently on windows and there is an application i run many instances of and each instance uses 8-9% cpu roughly and im wanting to know if i formatted and used Gentoo would that amount decrease or would it have 0 difference.

My Cpu: i7 2600k clocked to 4.4

i can run roughly 8 instances of this application along with my browser and other small needed applications before my cpu is maxed but there is somebody on the same forum and almost same spec as me claiming they can run 20 instances of this application using Gentoo. I just wanted to come here and get some information because if this is correct i will be making the move to Gentoo

Thanks in advance

Soldato
It's impossible to say without seeing the application code - but for all intensive purposes you can make a reasonable assumption that it will be the same, or possibly slightly better. Going from 8 instances to 20 might be slightly optimistic though, again very difficult to say.

Also be aware that you don't have to use Gentoo, you can expect the same performance across most Linux distros and Gentoo is probably the most hardcore distro to use if you dont know what you're doing.

The biggest gain you would get is less overall OS resource usage, if you can run the application from the shell alone then you have very little other stuff using CPU resources, unlike with Windows.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks for the information

as you most likely know windows takes about 20-30% ram standard from your resources no matter how much ram you have, does linux do this too ?

Last edited:
Associate
Hey people i need abit of information and comparison

Basically im currently on windows and there is an application i run many instances of and each instance uses 8-9% cpu roughly and im wanting to know if i formatted and used Gentoo would that amount decrease or would it have 0 difference.

My Cpu: i7 2600k clocked to 4.4

i can run roughly 8 instances of this application along with my browser and other small needed applications before my cpu is maxed but there is somebody on the same forum and almost same spec as me claiming they can run 20 instances of this application using Gentoo. I just wanted to come here and get some information because if this is correct i will be making the move to Gentoo

Thanks in advance

Hey can I just echo what tntcoder said. Gentoo is pretty hardcore and will require you to have your wits around you, especially when your doing updates or you could effectively wreck it (nothing permanent :D as I have wrecked mine many times). You really can't wreck a linux install in the same way you can windows.

While I think you know Windows is a performance Hog, so can Linux! If you want it to look pretty with transparencies and animations on your desktop then expect similar issues.

I would seriously recommend something along the lines of Mint / Ubuntu / Suse to get started in the Linux realm and start playing with Arch and then if your really anal like some of the guys here (i.e me for example) jump into Gentoo :D, will be happy to get you going from Stage3 :D

Associate
OP
Thanks i have a spare computer that just needs a new psu so im going to buy one and give it a test on that, i will most likely start with ubuntu as i have never used linux before

Back
Top Bottom