Help interpreting router stats

KPG

KPG

Associate
Hello all.

Had some problems in recent days with internet connection dropping out, and either reconnecting after router reboots or coming back of its own accord. No issues reported at the ISP's end, so it would seem to be a local issue, which of course covers a myriad possible causes.

I only switched to my current router about 10 days ago - a ZyXel VMG8924-B10A. In the event of further crashes, what should I be looking at in terms of router stats that may help point to the cause, whether it is a fault with the router itself or something more general?

I am not well versed in this matter and would like to know if if I am justified in swearing at the router.

An alternative step of course would be to switch to an alternative device and see if it connects when the ZyXel cannot, but I feel I ought to give this machine a fair crack because the brand has a decent reputation.

Many thanks.

Associate
Have to ask/guess so apologies in advance :
Why did you swap your original router ?
Does the original still have the connection issues ?
Have you tried the quiet line test? was it noisy - if so then you have to get that sorted first before the ISP ( via Openreach) will do anything about network connectivity.
When your ISP checks the line invariably they ask you to connect the original router. So its possible your new router isnt overly compatible with the cabinet its connected too ( Chipset conflicts)

Have you tried asking on Your ISPs forums for more applied advice.

Good luck anyhoo

KPG

KPG

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply.

I swapped the router because with the previous one, an otherwise trusty TP Link, the upload speed plummeted. Ordinarily I wouldn't have noticed but I WFH as a freelancer and suddenly I couldn't connect with a particular client's servers. Changing to the ZyXel rectified that. I haven't yet tried changing back to the TP Link because - touch wood - the connection has been stable on the ZyXel for the past day or so, barring a five-minutes dropout.

Quiet line test - sorry, what does this involve?

To reiterate, the ZyXel performed perfectly adequately for more than a week. These connection issues have occurred in the past two days only.

Associate
Quiet line test is connect your phone to the Master socket - ideally an analogue one ( phone)

Phone 17070 on the handset. Select option 2 - Quiet line. Then listen.

The line should be totally quiet - any crackling indicates a line fault .( hence the reasoning behind using an analgue phone as digital ones can filter out the "crackles")

Hope this helps

KPG

KPG

Associate
OP
Ah I see. We have a digital handset but it's fairly old. Could be useful for this test, thanks.

Associate
On a side note - Just to clarify what I mean by master socket .

It is the socket, located behind the face plate of the BT socket. If you have no other extensions then using the face plate socket should be ok If you have extensions ( whether used or not) you should use the Master. ( It will of course mean your internet will be interrupted but you are then testing the line and not your extensions)
I bring this up as internal wiring of a house after the main BT socket is technically your " problem " as it were.
Ergo if an engineer is called out and the line fault is from the extensions you could well be charged.

Good luck again

Back
Top Bottom