Help! I've overloaded the sky WiFi hub... (I think)

Soldato
Hello,

I think I've overloaded the Sky WiFi router! (is that a thing?), as you can probably tell I'm unsure :)

I have lots of Alexa devices / smart bulbs / PC's / Smart Plugs etc all connected via WiFi (actually, the PC's are wired). After installing a couple more smart bulbs the WiFi has disconnected some devices and will not reconnect, for example my phone appears to be "black listed", I have three routers in repeater mode and my phone connects to all but does not get a internet connect, whereas other devices do? (it seems random).

Would a smart hub of some description take the pressure off the Sky routers WiFi? I think (please correct me if I'm wrong), one of the advantages of a smart hub is WiFi devices connect through the smart hub and only one connection (wired) goes to the Sky router. Therefore, limited devices are connected via WiFi to the Sky router? is that correct?

If so what smart hub would you recommend on a Cyber-Monday? I'm thinking of the Alexa with a built in Smart Things?

Thanks in advance,

Associate
Is it one of the older SR101 / SR102 hubs? if so then the white one does 16 and the black one does 32 devices. The newer ones can handle many more devices.

Soldato
OP
It's the latest one, seems to be ok now...performed a factory reset...I suspect I'm close to capacity, one of the Sky mini box's said there was a problem with obtaining a IP address, just checked the router and I've got:

Attached Devices
IPv4 Address = 47
IPv6 Address = 21

As I say, seems ok now, but is my original post correct would a Hub help?

I know I said a Alexa but I'm considering a Hubitat...

Again any advice appreciated.

Soldato
Sky hubs have a slightly chequered history with low WiFi device limits, though the latest 203 has a much higher limit. I would suggest adding a dedicated AP may be a better long term solution if you are connecting a lot of devices. Also note that DHCP leases for devices aren't the same as connected wifi devices, unless everything is wireless. If your IoT devices connect to your hub rather than the router via wifi, then a hub would also help.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some routers come configured with relatively small DHCP pools which can result in you running out of available IPs.

If you have the full range available that isn't going to a cause of a device not being able to obtain an IP address.

Back
Top Bottom