Help making a dumb ceiling light, smart!

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

As of yesterday, I'm on the smart home bandwagon :cool: ...

I purchased 9 Lifx bulbs and have fitted them around the house. I chose these as I wanted something that would play nice with Homekit (we are an all-Apple household), they were on offer for £24.99 each and they work without a hub.

However, I'm stumped when it comes to our living room. We have 2 ceiling lights in the living room of a fairly modern/contemporary design. Both run on the little G9 LED bulbs and are controlled by a 2-way standard wall switch.

I've seen how some people have fitted a smart switch/relay (?) between the light and the power supply and have hidden the switch/relay by pushing the unit up in to the ceiling, so it is hidden from view. This has the effect of turning a "dumb" light in to a smart capable light without a messy added box hanging from the ceiling.

I'm coming across two issues:

1. When I search for smart switches, I get results for wall switches not the type I've seen.
  2. I need something that natively supports Homekit.

I really don't want to faff around with running Homebridge for the sake of 2 lights so I can't stress that homekit support is essential. I also haven't got the desire to change the lights as we haven't long bought them (<1 year).

Can anyone help?

Nevermind - I've bought some Lightwave smart switches which seem to do what I need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom