Help me choose a gaming TV for my new study...

Soldato
Pretty sure I'm decided on a 65" TCL mini-LED, but can't decide between their two latest versions.

Help me choose:

Or

Input from PC (I'll be upgrading my trusty 2080Ti to either a 3090Ti/4080 or 7900XTX, depending on Black Friday deals), PS5, Switch & Firestick 4k Max...

I think the 805K is the newest screen, as reviews are scarce and release details are dated a fortnight ago, but the 845K has plenty of fair reviews and is 2000 Nits peak brightness, compared to the 1300 of the 805K...

Study is painted in Denim Drift, so it's not an overly bright room - I suffer from chronic cluster headaches and migraines after a TBI, so having somewhere dark I can escape to is important.
I also have custom shutters to fit in the window recess, which will allow me to completely block out the light, plus a daybed/sofabed going opposite the media wall.

Excuse the temporary shelving - that's so I can get stuff off the floor and measure how much I need to trim all the network cables - they'll be going into conduit in the corner, then painted. The POE Switch is mounted low on the wall and will be hidden by a cabinet.

Feature-wise, they're pretty identical - the 845K has a built in subwoofer, making it Onkyo 2.1 sound over the 805's 2.0, but I'll be running it through my amp & Mordaunt Short 7.1 system, so it's not a deal-breaker.

Price: there's £50 between them, so no meaningful difference...

Heart says go for the newer 805K, but head says wait for reviews (and any Black Friday deals).

Budget is a grand, so if you've got any better suggestions for a 65", 144hz TV either mini-LED or OLED, let me know.

Soldato
OP
Prices may come down closer to Black Friday, but if your budget has some flexibility I'd honestly get the LG C3 OLED, there's a 20% off code atm.

You get 4 fully functional HDMI 2.1 ports, where's most other TV's give you 2 max and one is the eARC port usually.
Appreciate what you're saying, but at £700 over my budget, it would have to be an absolutely phenomenal Black Friday discount...

I'd prefer to stick within my £1k budget, as I can stick it on the Amex, then clear it straight away - I can stretch to £1200 if the suggestion is mind-blowingly better...

Soldato
Appreciate what you're saying, but at £700 over my budget, it would have to be an absolutely phenomenal Black Friday discount...

I'd prefer to stick within my £1k budget, as I can stick it on the Amex, then clear it straight away - I can stretch to £1200 if the suggestion is mind-blowingly better...
It's not £700 over your budget with 20% off, but I appreciate even £1400 is over budget, just I'd personally rather spend a bit more and get an outstanding set than end up with a TCL..

Soldato
OP
What did you end up picking up? I'm thinking of getting the TCL 805K myself.
Work to finish the study stalled after my little sister broke her ankle (she needs 24/7 care), so I haven't yet had to make a final decision.

I've had plenty of time to research, though: pretty much decided on the 75" C805K (1300nits compared to the 845's 2000, but more dimming zones in the newer panel) - price has dropped to £1250, but by the time I finish the study, I suspect the 2024 range will be out and hopefully see some lower prices still...

Associate
was going to pull the trigger on the 805 myself until i seen the quickly growing thread at avforums. from motion blur to stuttering and out of sync audio its quickly putting me off

Associate
Did either of you get the C805k? Would love to know your thoughts as I'm thinking about getting one of these for a gaming TV.

Soldato
OP
was going to pull the trigger on the 805 myself until i seen the quickly growing thread at avforums. from motion blur to stuttering and out of sync audio its quickly putting me off
Ditto.
Waiting for my old man to finish his away contract, so I can borrow his van to pick up a C845K from Costco. 75" is £1249*. We'll upgrade the lounge TV and move the old 65" panel into the study.

(*65" is £1049 from Mark's Electrical).

Soldato
OP
Did either of you get the C805k? Would love to know your thoughts as I'm thinking about getting one of these for a gaming TV.
Decided on the C845K for reasons shown in the following:

Associate
Couldn't resist taking a punt on the 50" C805k at £425 so will have to see how it is! Free returns anyway if it's got issues but I'm sure it'll be a bit better than my 2018 Philips 7303 but I will miss ambilight. :(

Soldato
OP
Couldn't resist taking a punt on the 50" C805k at £425 so will have to see how it is! Free returns anyway if it's got issues but I'm sure it'll be a bit better than my 2018 Philips 7303 but I will miss ambilight. :(
Had to put in a warranty claim in for our 2018 Hisense...

...and the 75" C845K was offered as an upgrade for £595.
After settling our cat's £8k vet bill on Tuesday, I really shouldn't, but...

:rolleyes: :D

Back
Top Bottom