Help me choose a language

Associate
I know I have asked similar questions to this before and just keep going in loops.

Basically my coding background is old days macromedia director with lingo and php&mysql I would say I know most about php;
I have made a few simple database sites with PHP&mysql but old school.
I tried making a more complex database system with codeignitor but coded myself into a corner and ended up doing the project with my Brother in law using ASP.net (c#) he more or less built what I had done and wanted in codeignitor ( with in a few hours nearly ready to ship, that had took me weeks to do in php and was still not working)

I also use WordPress for most of my sites.

I am torn as I look at lynda.com and been through some of there code clinics where different programmers solve the same problem with their language of choice. And to me PHP looks to be a lot more writing and effort then some of the other ones. I mean Swift solved the 8 queens problem in less then a page of code. PHP was several scripts.
C# and .net when I used with my B-I-L looked good.

My problem is I know some PHP and mysql. I do web sites part time to and I know PHP would help me more with wordpress.

However on the other hand I could use perch or jeckkle as the CMS removing the need to know wordpress.
From what I have seen and read other languages seam to make sence to me more then php. For example Swift id got a basic app running in a night.

I have books on Ruby , C# , PHP but I cant decide which one to concentrate on.

What's your thoughts

Soldato
Whatever you are most comfortable in I would say.

If you are sticking to websites and already know at least intermediate PHP then I would stick with it and try to improve. Also depends on the backend of the web server you mostly deploy on since I believe any ASP.NET (C#) stuff would need to be deployed on to a Windows server.

Associate
PHP is a nice first language, if you're not super confident in it I'd try writing something like a CMS system from the ground up using a strong existing framework with Jinja templates or something like that.

My favourite for pure web development is Django with Python - you'd have to learn Python but coming from a background in scripting languages already it shouldn't be too hard. And the syntax is just lovely!

But you'll know better if you want to stick with Wordpress or do your own design from the ground up. Either way you can't go wrong with Python/Ruby/PHP if you're sticking to the web development world.

Associate
OP
What I loved about .net was the IDE

Do you think it would be worth buying a propper php Ide like php storm or similar or stick with sublime text.
Good call on Python had a look at this as teaching the kids it next year. Nothing to difficult but syntax looked good

Soldato
If you want to look into PHP seriously i would avoid Wordpress and obsolete frameworks such as Codeigniter.

I recommend a book called 'Modern PHP' which is written by Josh Lockhart. The book doesn't go into lots of detail but it covers most things pretty well. It will certainly open your eyes and put you on the right track if you are to take the PHP route.

If you don't want to spend any money you should, hit up phptherightway.com, which is also a good resource to get you on track.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok What makes Django so good? what can I do with it?

The only real reason for me to stay with PHP is to get a deeper understanding of wordpress. But do I really need to get that involved with it, if all I am doing is modding themes?

Associate
OP
Basically what I do now part time for work is make websites for people using WordPress... nothing big just small businesses or small schools.

I'm not that good at design so want to get away from that and learn more about development. Im guessing most of the stuff I'd be looking at is making small CRUD sites to start with.

Associate
OP
Who says that?

There is much more to PHP than just WordPress.

OK Maybe that came across wrong, what I was meaning was you said try to avoid WordPress or codeignigter.

But one of the plus sides of keeping with PHP is that I use wordpress in work so knowing more about the backend of it and PHP would be a plus.

Back
Top Bottom