Help me choose a new mountain bike

Soldato
Hi everyone,

I’ve been riding a Canyon Nerve AL 9.0 since 2016. It has 110mm travel and 120mm forks, and bike geometry has come a long way since then.

This time last year, I rented a Trek remedy 8 from Bike Park Wales, and ever since I’ve had a hankering for something longer, lower, slacker, and with more travel front and rear. I’m also interested in a bike capable of running a mullet setup as I’m on the shorter side and this would apparently suit me. I haven't had a chance to try it, but feel like it would future-proof whatever frame I go for.

I have an absolute max budget of about £4,500, but only if it’s via C2W.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to three options, with a fourth thrown in as a comparison.

Option 1 — Bird’s new Aeris AM 160mm Carbon – £4,500

This is Bird’s brand new frame (just launched) so it has the most up to date geometry and technology. 160mm rear and 160mm front travel, 29er but with the ability to turn it into a mullet. They’re adverting it as a true “do it all” bike.

Pros
2024 model (effectively)
Mulletable
Carbon
SRAM GX drive train as standard

Cons
To bring this within my budget, I will have to reduce the spec of most of the components compared to the other options in the list. For example, the stock option comes with RockShox Lyrik Ultimate fork, I would have to drop this to the Formula Selva R forks and I would also have to downgrade the brakes etc.

Option 2 — Bird Aether 9 or 9C – £4,100

Bird’s “do it all” bike before the new Aeris AM came out. 130mm rear with up to 150mm front travel and 29” wheels.

I’ve test ridden the 9c and enjoyed it, but I wasn't able to really put it through its paces.

Within my budget, I can either go for the aluminium frame and get the SRAM GX drivetrain, or go for the carbon frame and settle for SRAM NX. I’m a bit hesitant with NX because it makes upgrading to GX a bit more complicated in the future (they use different hubs) but it’s not the end of the world.

Pros
I can ramp up the component spec on this within budget: Lyrik Ultimate forks, Super Deluxe Ultimate shock, Hope V4 brakes, Reverb Stealth dropper post, etc.

Cons
Not Mulletable
“Old” (introduced in 2020)
Slightly less travel than the other options
Aluminium if I want SRAM GX

Option 3 — 2022 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo Elite Alloy – £3,500

Leisure Lakes are doing a massive discount on the 2022 Stumpy Evo Elite Alloy at the moment, from £5,200 down to £3,500.

160mm Fox 36 factory fork and 150mm Fox X factory shock, SRAM GX drivetrain, Code RS brakes (I would prefer Hope, but these are decent spec).

I tested a standard Stumpjumper and thought it felt great, so I’m expecting the Evo to be even better.

Pros
Great spec components
Cheapest option in the list
Mulletable

Cons
Alloy
2022 model

Option 4 — 2023 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO Comp — £4,200

I’m not really considering this but thought it was interesting for comparison.

It sits at around the same price point as the Aether 9 but with a much lower spec: Fox Float Rhythm forks, Fox Float X performance Shock, SRAM NX components in the drivetrain etc. but it does have Code RS brakes.

Yes, it’s carbon and it’s the latest model, but everything else to me says “not good value for money”.

==

I’d really love the new Aeris AM, but I’ll be pushing my max budget while also having to compromising on component spec.

With the Aether 9, I can completely max the spec and have it exactly as I want it, but I couldn’t run it as a mullet and is the frame starting to show its age?

The Stumpy Evo Alloy looks like an absolute bargain and it ticks every box except the carbon frame.

My heart is saying Bird, but my head is saying Stumpy…

So what would you do?

Soldato
OP
Can you hold out until the 2023 Stumpy goes on sale?

Won’t be until August at the earliest, will it? Usually “2023” is like August ‘23 to July ‘24, or have they changed it?

The thing is, even if the 2023 Stumpy Evo Comp was discounted down to £3,500 it still wouldn’t be as good a spec as the 2022 Elite Alloy, apart from the fact that it’s carbon.

Associate
I've recently built up an Aether 9C, bought one of the imperfect paint frames (it is perfect... just "more matt" than Bird wanted).

Parts from CRC, ebay, a bunch of other places. Spec for under £3k

9C, Rockshox Deluxe ultimate debonair
Bomber Z2 forks
SRAM wheels
Gx drivetrain
Hope Tech 4 E4 brakes
Brand-X dropper, Race Face carbon bars, uberbike rotors and other bits

You just need to want to build your own!

If I didn't build this I was going to buy the Orbea Occam M30... Also available for £3k

Soldato
OP
I've recently built up an Aether 9C, bought one of the imperfect paint frames (it is perfect... just "more matt" than Bird wanted).

Parts from CRC, ebay, a bunch of other places. Spec for under £3k

9C, Rockshox Deluxe ultimate debonair
Bomber Z2 forks
SRAM wheels
Gx drivetrain
Hope Tech 4 E4 brakes
Brand-X dropper, Race Face carbon bars, uberbike rotors and other bits

You just need to want to build your own!

If I didn't build this I was going to buy the Orbea Occam M30... Also available for £3k

Nice.

I always assumed I'd never get the components I wanted for less than I could get them from Bird due to their bulk-purchasing power.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time (or the inclination if I'm honest) but build from scratch.

Associate
It was several weeks for me to get the parts together, to be fair... Then the build process takes time (which you may put a value on).

It's not always cheaper to self-build, but my Aether 9C with shock, headset and seat clamp was just over £1000 delivered... You don't get a carbon frame that cheap normally, which accounted for the vast majority of the savings I made.

Caporegime
£4500 seems a lot for a bird. I've loved all three of them. But I'd rather have an ebike instead at that budget, personally.

From those I'd go 3, save cash and who cares about weight on a big bike anyway.

img

img

Associate
Theres no stock until Q1 though for the new AM?

You can get a build 9c with imperfect paint within budget. I ride with someone and its v nice. I would like the new Privateer but its on the other c2w scheme and wasnt on my own either.

Soldato
£4500 seems a lot for a bird. I've loved all three of them. But I'd rather have an ebike instead at that budget, personally.

From those I'd go 3, save cash and who cares about weight on a big bike anyway.
That's like saying for £4500 I'd rather have a car. Not everyone wants an ebike.

I'd be looking strongly at what Wiggle CRC have on offer, in so tempted by a Nukeproof Reactor frame, 60% off at the minute.

Caporegime
That's like saying for £4500 I'd rather have a car. Not everyone wants an ebike.

I'd be looking strongly at what Wiggle CRC have on offer, in so tempted by a Nukeproof Reactor frame, 60% off at the minute.

Thats why I said personally, and as theyre both mountain bikes - then it's not really.

Soldato
OP
Theres no stock until Q1 though for the new AM?

You can get a build 9c with imperfect paint within budget. I ride with someone and its v nice. I would like the new Privateer but its on the other c2w scheme and wasnt on my own either.

Yeah, if I get the 9c with imperfect paint I can pretty much max out the spec (apart from NX rather than GX drivetrain).

And I did enjoy the little demo I had of the 9c.

The only things making me hesitate is the “old” frame and the fact that you can’t mullet it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I was speccing the new Bird AM 160mm with SRAM drivetrain, but a friend pointed out that if I went with Shimano, I could keep the rest of the spec as I wanted within budget.

The stock SRAM GX setup is £4,830, but the stock Shimano setup is "only" £3,790.

So now I'm leaning towards that over the Stumpy.

It's still an extra £500 (over the Stumpy), but it's carbon, it's a 2024 frame, it can be mulletized without needing an additional link, and it's basically the one I wanted but now without compromise (unless you consider Shimano's 12-speed drivetrain a compromise over SRAM GX).

Soldato
I pulled the trigger on the Bird AM 160mm. :D

Now for the long wait for them to deliver.

Hopefully not as long as it took my Trek Slash 8 to arrive - 5th Oct 21 - arrived - 14th May 22 :(

That said I went the opposite way to how you have the rear shock mounted, after riding Specialized pretty much from 2004 to 2022 and for me I've been setting better times on the Trek, than I did on my FSR Camber, which was an XC.

Enjoy

Associate
When I ordered my 9C, it was in stock but needed the shock mounted (they do that, but don't mount headsets and seatpost clamps).

Ordered 13th August, dispatched 21st August... Just so you get some idea as to potential shipping timeframes.

Soldato
OP
Hopefully not as long as it took my Trek Slash 8 to arrive - 5th Oct 21 - arrived - 14th May 22 :(

That said I went the opposite way to how you have the rear shock mounted, after riding Specialized pretty much from 2004 to 2022 and for me I've been setting better times on the Trek, than I did on my FSR Camber, which was an XC.

Enjoy

Thanks, fingers crossed it’s not that long!

When I ordered my 9C, it was in stock but needed the shock mounted (they do that, but don't mount headsets and seatpost clamps).

Ordered 13th August, dispatched 21st August... Just so you get some idea as to potential shipping timeframes.

They’re suggesting Q1 2024 on the site, so with any luck I’ll have it in time for my Birthday in March…

Soldato
OP
I don't have that kind of patience! Haha!

Yeah, that was definitely a plus point to the Stumpy.

I'm sure it would have been a great bike, but I would always have had the Bird in the back of my mind.

Realising how much cheaper the Shimano setup was made it a much easier decision, even if there is a bit of a wait.

Caporegime
I love mine but I can see why people wouldn't one one.

They don't really feel heavy most of the time but they aren't as nimble as a normal bike and perhaps not as much fun for a lot of people.

Back
Top Bottom