Help me decide my blue.....

Caporegime
I got myself a rather lovely mg midget last year in a very non MG blue.

I was just going to touch up the areas that needed doing where there was stone chips and gravel rash but now after getting it up on the ramp and going round with a light, there are more areas than i thought with an odd bump and cracked paint and stuff and the only panel which wouldn't get resprayed now is the boot lid! It was a brand new heritage shell a few years ago so worth giving it the top treatment!

Which is maybe a good job as my painter is really struggling to colour match the original colour. The previous owner doesn't know what colour it has been painted and the garage he bought it from doesn't know either. My painter has tried to colour match it and the sample sheet he has done on the bonnet looks perfect but if you hold it to the rear quarter panel it looks a mile off.

So, I have decided that for the little extra it is going to cost, to respray the whole car in a new colour - but sticking to the dark blue theme. Then there is no issues in matching.

I have always loved the BMW San Marino blue but my painter hates it and said he would never pick that blue by choice as there are lots of better dark blues out there (in his opinion).

He has suggested the Maserati Blu Emozione Metallic but every picture I have seen online doesnt look good and definitely doesnt blow me away but the sample sheet does look amazing.

He has also suggested a few Alfa Romeo ones inc Blu Tornado and Blu Misano

Blu Tornado:

Blu Misano

And then there are the two classic AUdi colours

Sepang

And my second choice after the BMW San Marino, the Audi Estoril

He has also lobbed in Lamborghini‬ Murcielago MONTEREY BLUE (which does look stunning but not sure it would suit the car)

What dark blue metallic would you suggest please? I need to decide by next week

Soldato
dsc_0523.jpg

Associate
Lovely midget, I did a quick Google image search for blue midget and yours comes up as one of the top results linking back to the advert with a video of it.

As for the colour I think it'll look pretty nice with whatever you go for :D

Caporegime
OP
Most of those 'blues' have been photoshopped. Don't expect them to look like that to the naked eye.

Yeah thats a massive issue and something i was factoring in. But take the Maserati colour. On the small test peive in real life it looks stunning. Can I even find one photo on google on a Maserati where that same colour looks anything but average? And I would have expected the photos to be tweaked to look as they could be so anything that comes up poor in a google search probably really should be discounted.

Caporegime
OP
Lovely midget, I did a quick Google image search for blue midget and yours comes up as one of the top results linking back to the advert with a video of it.

As for the colour I think it'll look pretty nice with whatever you go for :D

Thanks :) I have updated quite a bit on it since then on the mechanical side. That advert and video was from 2 years ago. It had picked up a lot of paint damage since then., I am on the final stretch at sorting the paintwork out.

Caporegime
OP
Anyboyy got a BMW San Marino blue car? Does it look half as stunning as the first 100 hits on google for it or has it being over photoshopped?

Associate
Thanks :) I have updated quite a bit on it since then on the mechanical side. That advert and video was from 2 years ago. It had picked up a lot of paint damage since then., I am on the final stretch at sorting the paintwork out.

The Midget is a great little car, my old man has a '72 which I get to take out for a spin now and again. It's red with wire wheels which is probably my favourite colour combo, but obviously wire wheels are not the easiest to live with!

Have you owned any other classics?

Associate
Renault Iron Blue.

I saw it on a newer Megane and I thought it looked quite good in person.

I think my favourite blue will always be Estoril Blue though. Likely too bright!

Caporegime
OP
The Midget is a great little car, my old man has a '72 which I get to take out for a spin now and again. It's red with wire wheels which is probably my favourite colour combo, but obviously wire wheels are not the easiest to live with!

Have you owned any other classics?

Only a midget but that was over 25 years ago!!!!

Back
Top Bottom