Help Me Find a Car :(

Soldato
My E46 330d is dead (turbo failure) and I just sold my M3, so I'm without a car. I want to fix the 330d myself as it's worth less than £2k and I don't see the point in spending close to £1k to get someone to fit a new turbo.
The only problem is that I have very little cash at the moment, having spent it on property. I take the train to work every day and only use the car at the weekends for family things, so I'd like an estate. I prefer auto too for daily hacks. I was originally thinking about spending ~£15k but I'd have to finance and I don't want to do that, so lowered my budget to £10k max. I like diesel for the good fuel economy and low down torque but not sure it's worth it when I'm doing about 6k a year. I really can't go up in budget, as much as I'd like an F11 530d it would be pointless to having it sitting on the drive doing nothing for 5 days a week. Current cars I would like are:

BMW E91 325d M Sport 2010 onwards - can be had for 10k
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706026074289?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

Lexus RS 450h - bit of an odd choice but I like them, plus the hybrid drive train. Out of budget though except high mileage.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

BMW F11 525d/530d - can't find a good one for £10k and it seems overkill.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706216640218?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

Volvo V60 SE Lux D5 - seems like a lot of car for the money, £11k from a main dealer.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706076218210?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

I have also seen this E61 530i, which seems to tick all the boxes and is well priced. My only worries are the reliability of the ZF 6HP19 (a lot better than the 5hp in my 330d I believe) and corrosion issues for a car this age, given that it's only 1.5 years newer than my E46, and my E46 is rusting quite a bit. What other age related issues might there be? It does look like a great car for the money, and hopefully the price is negotiable. Plus points are it's an N52 (I think), great condition and well specced.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-55-B...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Man of Honour
It's amazing how expensive used cars are these days, my 530i was about the same price as that one yet was just under 5 years old not 12 :eek:

Soldato
OP
It's amazing how expensive used cars are these days, my 530i was about the same price as that one yet was just under 5 years old not 12 :eek:
I know it's ridiculous, however to be fair yours did have almost 60k extra miles, albeit from a single owner and in fantastic condition.

Soldato
OP
I don't trust ebay turbos, heard too many bad stories about them. Going to get Turbo Technics or similar to refurb mine. Having a full time job, a toddler and a major house renovation going on I don't have the time to spend working on the car at the moment.

Caporegime
I don't trust ebay turbos, heard too many bad stories about them. Going to get Turbo Technics or similar to refurb mine. Having a full time job, a toddler and a major house renovation going on I don't have the time to spend working on the car at the moment.

Rather than a Refurb, just get a refurbished replacement based on you returning yours. Had my E46 330d turbo off, and replaced within 48 hours on the drive.

Caporegime
I did yes, didn't take 48 hours. Did it from underneath in an evening. You need to remove the A/C compressor, BUT you can leave it plumbed in so don't need a regas.

Took about 2 hours to remove and about 3 hour hours to fit. 48 hours included the delivery of mine after receiving the old one!

I also had to "engineer" a fix for my intercooler to hose connection, as the aluminium end to the driver side hose had broken its mount and BMW were backed up to the tune of 3 weeks for the part. I needed the car to drive to the alps, so "bodged" it whilst replacing the turbo!

Soldato
OP
I did yes, didn't take 48 hours. Did it from underneath in an evening. You need to remove the A/C compressor, BUT you can leave it plumbed in so don't need a regas.

Took about 2 hours to remove and about 3 hour hours to fit. 48 hours included the delivery of mine after receiving the old one!

I also had to "engineer" a fix for my intercooler to hose connection, as the aluminium end to the driver side hose had broken its mount and BMW were backed up to the tune of 3 weeks for the part. I needed the car to drive to the alps, so "bodged" it whilst replacing the turbo!

Don't suppose you have a guide? Mine's the 204 bhp engine but I believe the actuator is still vacuum and not electronic like the later ones.

Caporegime
I used the information from BMW TIS, and amended that as I went along so as to be able to accomplish the swap a) on the driveway with a "home mechanic" toolset, and b) to remove as little as possible from the car!

I can grab the information out of TIS if that will be helpful for you!

Soldato
OP
I used the information from BMW TIS, and amended that as I went along so as to be able to accomplish the swap a) on the driveway with a "home mechanic" toolset, and b) to remove as little as possible from the car!

I can grab the information out of TIS if that will be helpful for you!
That would be great if you could :)
I think I'm going to have a look at the 5 Series and if it's decent enough buy it, fix the 330d and sell it on.

Associate
Care to provide some details, i.e. mileage, spec, etc. Tourings carry a premium over saloons anyway.
and the M-Sport kit too

I genuinely rate my old pre facelift e60 530d (msport) as one of my best ever cars. Only sold it to swap my daily for a S2000 as I had changed jobs and was commuting on fast flowing B roads (which was then sold when I bought my noble, replacing the daily with a 325i, a s3, a z4 and then another s2000)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom