Help me find an Air Conditioning unit for our loft conversion :)

I have had all 3 types, portable system vent out of window, split system pre-gassed that I installed myself and a pro install

Portable, what i am using now actually. Work ok, you probably need to modify it for best effect, ensuring a decentish seal around window, cover exhaust tube in blanket or something similar, effectiveness about 5/10, value for money about 10/10

Self install split system, cost me about £400 and would need to allow bit more for installation, was I think 3Kwh, which was the max you could plug into mains socket, so no need to add a spur or anything. effectiveness about 9/10, value for money 9/10
Need to be pretty DIY competent, took me about a day all in to fit. Worked well in reverse mode as well (heating) which was actually why I installed it, to heat 1 room permanently when we had a new born.

Prof installed split system, more options as the lengths and placements pretty much anything goes (where as the self install you have to feed some fairly meaty pre gassed cables). Seems to take a long time compared to self install split system but thats really because of the options available, I bet it could be done in a day if you restricted yourself to the same locations. In reality I couldnt tell a difference in operation compared to the self install, but they are designed for a different level of market s should be more reliable so would give a 10/10 for effectiveness compared to the others. Cost is around £1200+VAT from a decent installer for the bottom end BTU type machines, but a decent make. Value for money 6/10.

If its at all possible I would get the self install split when doing it again, but it assumes you have the outside unit fairly close to the inside unit. If its on a different wall to the outside forget it.

I wouldn't say there is that much noise diff between all 3, most of the noise comes from the fan/air movement.

Soldato
just bought the £500 fan at the start of this thread.

MY office is murder at work, (my business) so will take the noisy one i got of facebook selling a few years ago but perfectly fine for the office to work and stick the quiet one in the bedroom.

Indecently every air conditioning machine in the world looks to be sold out on every site, i have a 4 day wait lol

Soldato
Just to update - I was saying my Igenix one I linked was quite noisy despite the amazon listing saying 50dB

Just found a sticker on the paperwork that actually came with it stating 65dB

Cheeky amazon!

Soldato
I'm about to have a loft conversion, the heat in my loft is sweltering right now. You could spend about 10 minutes up there before passing out and being on a drip.

I said to the builder I was a bit worried about the heat and they said it would be fine due to the insulation used. How do you find it? Is it hotter than other rooms in the house? I'm planning on adding 2/3 rooms plus an ensuite so they would be used rather than being for storage.

I'm sat in my newly converted loft typing this right now. It's a proper sweat box, there's no getting away from it. Got a Dyson fan currently flying apart next to me I have it so fast lol

Back
Top Bottom