Help moving disks in a QNAP TS419P+

Associate
I have an old NAS I use at home split between entertainment and business data.

Its a 4 bay NAS, all with 2TB drives.

Drives 1/2 are set to mirror, only 70GB data on this as its just related to my wifes business data.
Drives 3/4 are set to striped 380GB free and contains media data, not business essential but I would prefer not to lose if avoidable.

I have 2 new 8TB drives I would like to add as a striped volume to contain the data currently on 3/4.

I have tried to copy the current 3/4 data to an attached USB drive but it throws an IO error on a copy/paste and is taking an absolute age, not sure it will complete. It seems to be a common issue in old posts I have read so doesnt look like a solution.
I have copied the data on 1/2 to 3/4 as a backup just in case while i poke around with options.

I plan to do the following, some advice as to whether this is reasonable would be very welcome.

1. Remove drives 1/2, replace with the 8TB drives.
2. In storage manager remove the mirror drive for 1/2
3. In storage manager create a new striped drive for 1/2 for the 8TB drives
4. Copy paste the contents of striped 3/4 to the new 1/2 stripe drive
5. Remove 3/4, replace with original 1/2 drives with wifes data.

It is at this point I need a little advice, will the NAS recognise the original 1/2 drives as being a mirror pair and just reinstate that mirror drive when i put them in bays 3/4? I want to avoid an issue where those old mirror drives are overwritten or blanked ideally, especially as the system is set to have those drives as a striped set.

All help appreciated

I think you will have a problem as the new drives will become Volume 1 so there may be conflict when you add the original Volume 1 back in. When I tried to do something vaguely similar on an Asustor NAS it took a lot of editing of system config files to rename the original Volume 1 to Volume 2. QTS may work differently but it's not something I would put money on. Trying to do anything with RAID 0 is never easy.

Is the copy failure down to the NAS or the external drive? Presumably you've tried copying the data in smaller chunks as well as in one hit?

Back
Top Bottom