Help! My PC has died!

Associate
Hi all,

I need your expertise, after upgrading my RAM in my computer I then decided to upgrade my HSF too. After fitting, it now does not boot. No video and no POST beeps, the only thing I can see is the DVD drives spin, the floppy kicks in and the hard drive twitches, all fans are spinning as they should, and i've ruled out the power supply being dead as I used a different one.

I've tried all sorts and i'm stuck, anyone have any advice, any ideas, anything? Lol, i'm desperate, god know what I've done.

Anything is appreciated.

Cheers.

Permabanned
What did you dis connect when you changed the HSF?

Make sure the 4pin +12v connector is plugged into the motherboard that comes out of the PSU. :)

Associate
OP
stickroad said:
What did you dis connect when you changed the HSF?

Make sure the 4pin +12v connector is plugged into the motherboard that comes out of the PSU. :)

The 4 pin connector is most certainly in, although, I actually forgot 1 time and it game the same result, i.e no 4 pin = my problem, with 4 pin = my problem, if that makes sense lol.

Associate
OP
Shimmy said:
Try reseating the HSF, making sure it has good contact?

Also have you applied thermal paste?

I may try that later, contact seems to be good but i'm unsure, so i'll check, paste is on there, but only the stuf that came with the HSF, its a Arctic Freezer Pro 64 job, so all the clips etc seem to be on ok.

Associate
paste that comes wit hthat cooler is fine, have you plugged in the fan cable from the hsf correctly ?? and into the cpu fan header port ? some motherboards wont let you turn on it dont detect a cpu fan as normally the cpu just fries from no cooling lol

Associate
Golden rule, only ever change one thing at a time if you can. Then you can see at which step everything went south.

Retrace your steps. Easiest is to try the RAM first. The new RAM might require higher voltage, as for example happened on a few DDR2 mobos . So switch in the old.

Then try the old HSF.

Associate
OP
thefishdude said:
paste that comes wit hthat cooler is fine, have you plugged in the fan cable from the hsf correctly ?? and into the cpu fan header port ? some motherboards wont let you turn on it dont detect a cpu fan as normally the cpu just fries from no cooling lol

I'm pretty sure I have, I didn't realise there was a wrong way?

Associate
OP
artaxerxes said:
Golden rule, only ever change one thing at a time if you can. Then you can see at which step everything went south.

Retrace your steps. Easiest is to try the RAM first. The new RAM might require higher voltage, as for example happened on a few DDR2 mobos . So switch in the old.

Then try the old HSF.

RAM technially should be fine, as I failed to mention before, the RAM worked perfectly before HSF change so that shouldnt be a problem, as did everything else.

Thanks for the tip though, i'll be sure to do this in future lol. :)

Any more? :D

Associate
Matteus said:
I'm pretty sure I have, I didn't realise there was a wrong way?

sometimes it may not be pushed allway on, but main thing is it has to be on the cpu fan header not on any other fan header.

check anything you may hae knocked like the gfx card try reseating that

Associate
check connectors

Check all your connectors, including the ones from the LEDs to the mainboard. Try removing anything not absolutely required.

Remove all the power plugs and reseat them (20/24pin) , 4 pin 12v , 6pin to GFX card etc.

Associate
Reseating your components is good advice. You may of popped something out applying pressure on the mobo for the new HSF.

If you want a quick and dirty test of the old HSF, leave the new one on but unplug the CPU fan and just plug in the old one's fan. Should tell you if you have a duff fan.

Associate
OP
Ok, i've tried all that, so much so i've put it all in a new case just in case it was that too, i'm running out of options.

I recon the MB has died, what you guys think?

Associate
mobo

Sure sounds like the motherboard has gone. What you will need to try and find out though, is why. Did the PSU pop and take the board with it? (So it might happen again).

Associate
OP
I dont think it was the PSU as that still works and a different PSU in there doesnt, but still works in abother PC. I boiled it down to 2 things I think, either too much pressure (unlikely, but possible) or static as I didnt take the necessary precautions when fitting.

A new mobo is on its way now, hopefully that fill work, i'll report back and let you guys know. Thanks for the help.

:)

Back
Top Bottom