HELP NEEDED - Build for my friends son... challenging..

Associate
Hi Guys, hope you are all well.

I was speaking to my friend last week and she was telling me her son would like a gaming pc for Christmas. And she said her and partner didn't have a clue about it. I said I would offer them some help as I had built my last few pcs and would kind of get him what he needed. This is when the challenge kicked in. He's got a bit of specific list, because of his autism he's planned it all out and has heart set on it so there isn't a whole load of flex. And he also requires a Monitor & windows, keyboard, mouse to boot. Then the challenging part comes. Budget is tight, like super tight. "Gaming PC" would be loosely used as it would be mainly used to play COD, Fortnite, PUBG and stuff along those lines with his friends. He also wants to stream his game play so his friends can watch. Budget is £700 and hoped the Black Friday sales might help with this. However I've warned them this wont be by any means a high end gaming pc but it wont be crappy either. And was looking down the lines of AMD Ryzen and probably go air cooled to save £60-100 on a water block which would pay for windows. I've threw a quick spec together while at work and I've came in at £767.86. Wondering if you guys can help trim it down and if you's are absolute super stars maybe get some RGB lighting in there too.

Like I say i threw this together really quick havent 100% checked the compatibility and I have no experience of AMD builds so any helps would be great to make this little mans christmas extra special :):) Thanks <3

PS Just noticed I forgot the GFX card too.....man this is gunna be hard...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £781.06 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Permabanned
Hi,

All well, except the hard drive being grade B. Hard disk is the last PC component that I'd buy as an B grade part :(

And need a graphics card.

Permabanned
Yeah just realized it as i posted. Ok was just a thought to try save some cash... what parts would you recommend?

The same as these of your choice, plus RX 570 graphics card, and a cheaper Windows copy from somewhere.

Total: £757.07 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Soldato
Tough budget that for everything :(

Maybe @orbitalwalsh can come up with something better.

No Windows but you can download a copy from Microsoft and use it for free to start with. Then buy a product key later on.

Also no HDD but a 480GB SSD will get him started.

You could go for the R7 1700 for an extra £10 and drop the cooler, but I don't know how well the board would cope with an 8 core cpu.

Total: £696.78 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Soldato
What about the 1500x then do a mild overclock?

That only saves £20 on the cpu and you are dropping from a 6 core/12 thread to 4 core/8 thread. As game streaming is being done then the 6 core would be better. The prices on Ryzen are a bit messy at the minute i.e The R5 2400G is the same price as the R7 1700 which is just nuts.

Associate
OP
This looks pretty solid. Should stream okay? and run those games to a decent level i would think?

His birthday is 29th Dec so can use some of his birthday money towards the windows upgrade that is no problem.

No Windows but you can download a copy from Microsoft and use it for free to start with. Then buy a product key later on.

You could go for the R7 1700 for an extra £10 and drop the cooler, but I don't know how well the board would cope with an 8 core cpu.

Total: £696.78 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
This looks pretty solid. Should stream okay? and run those games to a decent level i would think?

His birthday is 29th Dec so can use some of his birthday money towards the windows upgrade that is no problem.

It should be fine. An 8 core would do even better though, but it depends if the Gigabyte board in my spec could handle it ok. You could ask ocuk for their opinion. The RX 570 is a decent gpu for 1080p gaming.

The R7 1700 is an extra £10 more but it comes with a stock cooler so you could remove the Cryorig M9A.

Total: £158.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

If they can stretch to a better board then the MSI Tomahawk is pretty good. Out of stock at the moment though.

Total: £110.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato

Total: £696.78 (includes shipping: £0.00)

pretty solid mate

Permabanned
Probably not without cutting something else out of the system. Would the current mobo run the 8 core ok? or is it worth just sticking with the orginal quoted?

It can be a 1000-core processor, what matters is the power consumption which is only 65W for the 8-core Ryzen 7.

Soldato
Probably not without cutting something else out of the system. Would the current mobo run the 8 core ok? or is it worth just sticking with the orginal quoted?

In my opinion the 6 core R5 2600 should do fine for a bit of streaming. The 8700K is considered a good cpu for that and it is also a 6 core/12 thread cpu. I wouldn't like to say go with the 1700 and it then starts to cause issues. Obviously you could check with ocuk and get their opinion if you wanted.

Only other thing you might want to add is a cheap fan or two for the front as that case only comes with 1 rear fan. You would need 1 or 2 for the front for some airflow. The board only has a single fan header so you would also need a fan splitter cable.

Total: £16.91 (includes shipping: £6.02)

Back
Top Bottom