Help needed for poorly PC.

Associate
So I more or less built a new PC around a year ago and two issues seem to have come out. The first has been there since the beginning and the second appeared over the last few months.

Basic spec.

• Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 3 / Gaming Pro (see below)
  • Intel i7-7800X
  • 4x 8GB Trident Z RGB 2400Mhz Ram (on gigabytes motherboard HCL)
  • Gigabyte 1080 Ti Waterforce
  • 2x Samsung 860 1TB NVME
  • 2x WD Black 2TB HDD (striped)
  • Motherboard water block. CPU / MB and GPU all watercooled. Water temp at load is around 10 DegC above ambient (so around 42DegC).

Issue 1 - Ram detected does nto match ram installed.
  • Windows detects 24GB
  • HWiNfo detects 32GB but one stick has no data for voltages etc. Reports tripple channel ram.

• Swapping ram sticks to other positions makes no difference.
  • Changed the MB but the same issue was still there.
  • I have now removed one stick (24GB installed and detected).
  • These changes have made no differece to issue 2.
Issue 2 - TC The Division is now crashing to desktop after stuttering and going to windowed mode (takes around 2 seconds then boom back to desktop). It does not only happen during action.
  • I have gone through a set of troubleshooting with UBISoft and it seemed to be fixed for a short time (vcredist uninstalls) but it has come back.
  • Crashes occue with DX12 turned on and off in the game.
  • I have now cleared and completely reinstalled a fresh recent version of Win10 (Oct2018 ISO) and patched up. The Division is the only game on the system and still I have crash to desktop happening. Nvidia drivers are the latest. I get stutters in the game (4k pretty much Ultra settings) now and then.
  • Had HWiNfo logging (2 sec intervals) when playing this time. Didn't see anything obvious but not sure what to be looking for.
Thoughts are
  • Ram issues
  • GPU issues
  • Power issues
Other games before the PC OS rebuild had no issues inc DayZ, Fallout 4 / Skyrim & Cities Skylines.

Any suggestions on narrowing down what may be causing the issue or any other thoughts most welcome.

Associate
OP
Ran the game again with HWiNfo running at 1/2 sec polling and have found a few entries for Performance Limit Power = Yes (every now and then) and just around when it died (as best as I can make out) there are two lines with Performance Limit - Reliability Voltage. Temps are reported as around 45DegC so not likely to be a temp issue.

I do not recall the PSU in the machine and as it is in a Corsair Crystal case it is hidden by a PITA shroud so I need to take it apart to check. Will take a look tomorrow.

Associate
I'm assuming you run all games max out 4k with no FPS limit? To me, it sounds like a power supply issue (the second issue).

With regards to the first issue, I would test one ram at the time with memtest86. It could be a possibly bad stick or a slot so unfortunately, it will take you few hours to diagnose via trial and error. I would recommend running memtest86 twice per stick. If no errors found then I would put one stick in e.g. slot one then move it to 2,3,4... etc. to see if it is not recognized in one of the slots which would indicate bad slot. Hopefully, this helps and good luck!

Associate
I'm assuming you run all games max out 4k with no FPS limit? To me, it sounds like a power supply issue (the second issue).

With regards to the first issue, I would test one ram at the time with memtest86. It could be a possibly bad stick or a slot so unfortunately, it will take you few hours to diagnose via trial and error. I would recommend running memtest86 twice per stick. If no errors found then I would put one stick in e.g. slot one then move it to 2,3,4... etc. to see if it is not recognized in one of the slots which would indicate bad slot. Hopefully, this helps and good luck!

Following on from this make sure you run memtest with at least 8 passes per stick at a minimum

Soldato
Issue one is going to be a pain, it’s likely the memory as you’ve changed Mobo. Memtrest takes forever but really is the best way to check.

Issue two is likely the PSU, but I suppose the card could be at fault. Have you tried a different GPU? Do the PCI power connectors have their own dedicated cable? Are you overclocking?

Back
Top Bottom