Help Needed On a cehap mobo / CPU Spec :)

Soldato
A Friends son's PC is buggered and he's looking to do a cheap upgrade

Hes also upgrading his own PC and salvaging some parts from that

So, what hes after is a mobo and C2Duo for £100

Any suggestions ?

go, go ,go

Cheers

TB

Soldato
Your basket
Product Name Qty Price Line Total
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 "LGA775 Core 2" 2.50GHz (800FSB) - Retail £49.99
(£58.74) £49.99
(£58.74)
Abit IP43 Intel P43 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard £54.99
(£64.61) £54.99
(£64.61)
Sub Total : £104.98
Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:
City Link Parcel Next Day (Delivered Mon-Fri)
(This can be changed during checkout) Shipping : £8.25
VAT is being charged at 17.5% VAT : £19.82
Total : £133.05

i know its over by a lot, but this is the best performance to cost ratio i can think of. you could use a p35 based MB, but it is unknown if a bios flash will be required. you could also drop the cpu down to a e2xxx series, but the performance drop isnt worth the money saved in my opinion.

Associate
Hi guys. im the friend of tb who had needs the parts....i took your advice and got the E5200 and the Abit ip43 mobo....It looks like im doing a whole system build now so ive also ordered seagate barracuda 250gb h-drive, 4x2gb of ocz gold 800mhz ram, pioneer dvd drive, 650 watt psu, gaming case with extra fans as im gonna clock the e5200, and im putting my 9 month old 8800gts 512mb g-card in it as im getting a 4870 1gb for crimbo.

My son is only 6 but he uses my pc all the time and wont use his p4 cos he says it looks rubbish and it keeps rebooting when getn too hot (i think).

Thanks again for the advice with the e5200 and the abit ip43....read loads of reviews and for the money is nearly as good as my q6600 3.6ghz asus p5k vanilla in gaming performance according to one website. :)

Associate
hiya, im glad you enjoy your new pc and went for the MB and CPU combo i spec'ed:p

Yes thanks.... you took all the messing about out of the equation. was looking at the asus boards and e7200.
After reading the reviews on the abit and the e5200, especially when clocked it is a giant killer of a cpu...and the abit gets great reviews aswell...thanks to you my son is gonna have a rig that rocks....and i can get to use my pc more now ha ha.

Just gonna have to build it now...its for xmas so ive got plenty time :cool:

Associate
6? :eek:

You taught him young then. :D

Believe me i never taught him anything...he just picked it up as he went along
He plays cod4 and unreal 3 and pwns a lot of good players including some of my clan members.....some people cant believe his age and how good he is.
He goes by the name of {SAS-J} Jackamo....so he will be so pleased at crimbo with his very own gaming rig.....just looking for a decent monitor 20" or 22".

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys. well i built him the rig for xmas but it doesnt work.....after 7 days of testing and swapping parts and testing ram, h-drive, drivers etc etc....the mobo isnt compatible with the 8800gts/512mb....it works fine with my 4870 1gb in it and the 8800 works fine in my pc.
And to top it off abit has stopped making mobos and now im stuck with a brand new mobo that cost me £70.

Associate
Its freezing and locking the pc up.....tried loads of old drivers etc.the 4870 works no probs. I googled the problem many times and came across a thread where everyone had a abit mobo and was having same problem.

Soldato
Did you re-install windows when changing over? Totally removed the ATI drivers before installing nVidia ones? Checked the BIOS settings for PCI-E including voltages, bus speed? All power cables plugged into board/card? If it is actually incompatible it will be the first time I have heard to a graphics card having issues with a mother board. Also updated all chip set drivers to the latest?

If so its very odd :s

Only thing I could say is try and flog the 8800GTS and buy him a 4850

- Pea0n

Associate
It was a new pc build so i just installed nvidia ones....just today have i placed the 4870 in it and cleaned the drivers off.
I installed vista twice and reformatted again an put xp on and the same happened. i havent changed any voltages as i wasnt aware i needed too do this when i bought my mobo....i havent done this and my 4870 works fine? this is the seventh day ive been trying to sort this problem now.
I have just read how to update the bios and its such a mess on and i dont think im that confident to do this. I might read more on it tmoro and give it a go.
I paid nearly £200 for the gts 10 month ago and i really cant afford to sell it for buttons and have to pay extra so it will work. ive been intouch with the people who sold me the mobo and i will see what they say. if not i will flog the mobo and buy a diff 1.

Soldato
Fair enough, I feel your pain and know it :(

I'll be honest, I really am surprised. Nothing really should need changing.

Go start --> run --> eventvwr

See if there are any error messages in any of the tabs, there might be something there that indicates a conflict or issue :)

- Pea0n

Associate
Ive bought a asus p5k mobo exactly the same as the one in my rig....i have a feeling if i had have rma the abit ....it would have checked out ok as its fine with the 4870 on it.
Will let you know the outcome when i have fitted it.

Back
Top Bottom