Help needed!!!

Associate
I really could do with your help guys. I've just bought components from OCUK to build a new pc for my dad. I put it all together, but when I switch it on, it doesn't POST, there's no beep, just the green light on the motherboard. I don't know if it's something I havent connected up right or a faulty part. I've tried everything I can think of. I've re-built it over and over, checked connections, tried the graphics card in my computer (which was fine). The PSU didn't come with a power cable, but I just used the one from my PC as they are all universal anyway. What do you guys reckon?

The specs are:

Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCS Extreme 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail

Zalman ZM500-HP Heatpipe Cooled 500W Modular PSU

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Vista Gold Series DDR2 (OCZ2G8004GK)

Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD753LJ)

Associate
OP
I've had a look on the internet for answers to this problem, it seems to point to a faulty motherboard. I've sent an RMA request to OCUK, any other ideas before I send it away? I'd like to try and resolve it without having to do this, but It looks to be heading that way.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Only thing I can think of is that it's either a faulty PSU/Mobo or you've wired it up incorrectly.

Post some pictures, and we can have a look for you.

Associate
Silly things to try before letting your head implode with more difficult suggestions (this is not meant to patronise, just clearing out the obvious):

1) Re-seat the RAM
2) Reset the CMOS
3) Is there a power light on the motherboard?
4) Re-seat the GFX card (although this should beep if it's not in right).

Soldato
I'm taking a guess you didn't connect everything correctly to the Motherboard or it's screwed.
So I would try reseating the power connections on there first and then try with 1 stick of RAM in.

Associate
Sorry, I re-read your post and realised you already answered my questions in the original post. Do you have another motherboard you can try the processor and RAM in, to confirm it's not either of those?

Associate
I hate to suggest the obvious one but have you mounted it properly on the motherboard on standoffs or screwed it straight on?

I ask because I did this once and felt like such a tard :p.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try everything mentioned, really want it to be one of these, I hate waiting on getting a new part sent out.

I've built a few systems previous to this one, and it always seems to be the simplest of things that screw it up, my last one I forgot the 8pin connection from the power supply to the motherboard, had it all in bits and re-built before I realised, really felt like a tard then :p So I'm not counting out all the silly little things that could have went wrong.

I'll use my own PC to test out the other components, the cpu, ram, PSU, should help narrow down whats wrong with it. Looks like I've got a busy night ahead of me!

Associate
OP
if its up to it, try you're psu in the new system, mate had a similar problem with the same mobo and it turned out to be a faulty psu.

I'll give this a go, it should work fine, it manages to power up my system with no problems. The zalman PSU I bought didnt come with a power cable, which I was a bit dissapointed with, so had to use the one from my own power supply. Though I don't think this would matter, since it's all universal these days. I'm gonna test every part in my PC, see how I get on. My bedroom is gonna look like a bomb hit it, a sea of PC components :p

Associate
OP
Update:

I've tried everything possible with this PC, changing the ram about, still nothing. I re-built everything else, made sure every connection was made. When that didn't work I then began to take apart my PC. I tried the CPU, GPU, ram and PSU in my PC, and all of them worked. So I've came to the conclusion that the motherboard aint working :mad: I was really hoping that it was something small and stupid, I would have quite happily forgot to plug something in, but unfortunately I'm going to have to send the mobo back. Thanks again guys for the suggestions, I'll let you know how I get on.

Back
Top Bottom