• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP? New card monitor switches off

Associate
Looking for suggestions on how to identify the problem or what it is...

Just changed the graphics card from;
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express)
to
Asus EAH4850 512MB DDR3 PCI-E

rest of pc spec is;
Akasa Ultra Quiet 460W Paxpower ATX2.0 PSU
ASUS P5Q - LGA775 SOCKET FOR INTEL - P45 CHIPSET - ATX
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8500, LGA775 Pkg 3.16GHz, 6MB L2 cache, 1333MHz FSB, 45nm
2 x 2GB Geil DDR II DIMM PC6400 800MHz CAS 5
Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy 7.1
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache
Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP Expert Edition
V7S20PD 20.1" TFT Monitor

After changing the cards over the computer booted fine during the driver install the monitor switched off (as if the input had disappeared). Restarted and it was back no probs. Tonight watching a video, and mincing on internet and it switched off again. reboot. then started Crysis and monitor switched off (despite playing crysis no probs earlier).

Any ideas... power? or Monitor?

Thanks

Iain

Soldato
Set windows not to automatically restart , My computer/properties/advanced

Last thing it will be is the GFX card ;) Lower Your OC or get it stable

Soldato
set windows not to automatically reboot on crash.

Not sure what gpu recover is?

(thanks btw):)

It's in the Ati control panel, If gfx card stops responding it will kick in and save crashes/lockups

Just because your PC was ok with Your old card means nothing ,try underclocking it, nothing should lock and automatically restart now, however if the Cpu/memory is faulty windows may still reboot which is why I think the problems in that area.....could have course be the PSU which is causing the instability

Soldato
Just looked at your specs, that PSU is not what I would consider as up to running a 4850 no Way !! a. it has 2 12v rails which is bad at such low power and b. spec says it comes with a 20/24 pin converter (reading that to be an add on as opposed to 24 pin plug that has the end 4 pins free) and only 2 sata connectors any reasonable PSU would have at least 8 sata connectors...not You would ever need them all but it shows what the manufacturer thinks it can handle ;)

Get an Enermax or corsair

Soldato
Looks like that spec I read may have been wrong, found a review for your PSU...It does not even have a PCIex connector, Unless you have put the motherboard connector into the GFX card :eek:

Associate
OP
Looks like that spec I read may have been wrong, found a review for your PSU...It does not even have a PCIex connector, Unless you have put the motherboard connector into the GFX card :eek:

hmm... pass... I'll get a new one tomorrow though once I've done some reading of this good ol' website!

actually now you mention it about plugging power into the g/c it was two 4 pin plastic ones into a special 4 pin plug converter which came with the g/c that I used... still needs replacing though I guess.

Soldato
hmm... pass... I'll get a new one tomorrow though once I've done some reading of this good ol' website!

actually now you mention it about plugging power into the g/c it was two 4 pin plastic ones into a special 4 pin plug converter which came with the g/c that I used... still needs replacing though I guess.

Yeah ;) the problem is with lower power PSU's that have dual rails it will be easy to overload 1 rail even though total 12v load may be within the PSU's capacity
Without any understanding of electic and PSU's the big give away is the lack of a 6PIN PCIex connector to feed one of these modern power hungry GFX cards

Back
Top Bottom