HELP - Optimal Monitor Setup

Associate
Hi all,

I am looking at revamping my work from home setup.

I currently have a laptop connected to a 24" screen on the desk.

I want to move both of these on to a clamp stand that has two arms, one for the Monitor and one for the laptop, so I can free up desk space and use the laptop screen as a second monitor next to the actual monitor. Something like this:
61XsenwAtIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What type of monitor do you think I should be going for ?

I think that a curved monitor would be a little strange when sitting next to the laptop screen.

Would a 27" or 32" monitor work best and would an ultra wide be even better ?

Also, if I went for a 1440p screen, would a normal intel graphics in the laptop be able to drive it.

Thanks for your help

Associate
OP
I would like it optimised for Productvity. Gaming would be secondary.

I want to use the main screen for working eg Word Excel etc and the laptop screen for video/zoom calls where I can share docs on the monitor whilst having the video on the laptop.

Mainly, I am not sure if an UW next to a laptop screen is too much/overkill ?

Also, what would be a good normal screen or a good Ultra Wide for up to around £300 ?

Soldato
I don't think you'll get anything much for £300, you're looking at an grand on that to get LG 38WN95C-W which would give you the equivalent of two 1920 x 1600 monitors in one without any center bezel plus USB-C to easily hook up a suitable laptop. You could then use the laptop beside the screen with picture by picture mode for multitasking between a desktop and the laptop or just use the LG as an extended desktop to the laptop with one easy cable to display and charge providing the laptop has USB-C with power delivery support over USB-C.

If that's too much cost then I'd consider a decent 4k model, most of which are only 60Hz though so not ideal for FPS gaming. Then I'd add a separate laptop dock that is recommended for your laptop.

Associate
Hi all,

I am looking at revamping my work from home setup.

I currently have a laptop connected to a 24" screen on the desk.

I want to move both of these on to a clamp stand that has two arms, one for the Monitor and one for the laptop, so I can free up desk space and use the laptop screen as a second monitor next to the actual monitor. Something like this:

What type of monitor do you think I should be going for ?

I think that a curved monitor would be a little strange when sitting next to the laptop screen.

Would a 27" or 32" monitor work best and would an ultra wide be even better ?

Also, if I went for a 1440p screen, would a normal intel graphics in the laptop be able to drive it.

Thanks for your help

To answer some of your questions:

- I currently run a curved monitor and a flat monitor and a laptop screen together. It's not an issue for me. That said, I'd probably stay away from those 1500R curved ones

- Your Intel graphics might be able to drive 1440p, but your laptop might not. Check your connectors, and if you only have HDMI, which version it is

- If you're going 1440p max, I'd suggest 27''. For the same reason I wouldn't suggest 1080p on a 27'' or 1440p on a 32'' - you don't want to see those pixels :D

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone.

@thenewoc I don't need the monitor to act as two screen, just as one large screen, extended from my laptop.

@TheReflex Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of something like a 34" Ultrawide, say like this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Giga...le-Curved-LED-Backlit-Ultrawid-MO-00B-GI.html

The Laptop spec is this, with Intel 620 graphics and an i7: Dell Latitude 7400
I will be running office apps and MS Teams mainly through the laptop. Outputs are HDMI, Thunderbolt, Displayport and USB C

Could that work ?

Associate
Thanks everyone.

@thenewoc I don't need the monitor to act as two screen, just as one large screen, extended from my laptop.

@TheReflex Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of something like a 34" Ultrawide, say like this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Giga...le-Curved-LED-Backlit-Ultrawid-MO-00B-GI.html

The Laptop spec is this, with Intel 620 graphics and an i7: Dell Latitude 7400
I will be running office apps and MS Teams mainly through the laptop. Outputs are HDMI, Thunderbolt, Displayport and USB C

Could that work ?

My work laptop (Dell Latitude 7280) has the same Intel card and I can't get more than 2560x1440 on my 34UW, but I think it's because I do not have Displayport. With Displayport you should be able to get full 3440x1440p, just make sure you get a VESA-certified cable

Associate
OP
My work laptop (Dell Latitude 7280) has the same Intel card and I can't get more than 2560x1440 on my 34UW, but I think it's because I do not have Displayport. With Displayport you should be able to get full 3440x1440p, just make sure you get a VESA-certified cable

Is that through HDMI or USB-C ?

Back
Top Bottom