Help Overclocking Please

Associate
I have had a quick go at overclocking my X2 4200+ and have managed to get it to 2420Mhz prime stable using multipler x11 fsb220 cpu volts 1.1 ram volts 2.8 and hyperthreading x4. Temps are around 45 deg under load so should be able to go a bit further but I'm a bit stumped now as if I up the fsb anymore windows will not load up.
Could someone who's managed to clock there cpu past 2.4Ghz on air please post their most stable setting for a clock higher than this so I can give it a try please.

many thanks :D

Edit:-
My memory is 2 x 1GB corsair XMS3200 TwinX btw and I'm using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro HSF.

Please someone help I'm a complete overclocking noob :o

Last edited:
Damn this is frustrating :(

Tried all kinds of tweeks including upping the cpu/mem volts, lowering the hyperthread but to no avail windows will just not load. Would reducing the multipler help or should I just be happy at 2.4Ghz?

Really was hoping to get 2.5Ghz or maybe 2.6Ghz but maybe I'm being too optimistic :eek:

Might have reached the limit on your RAM. Have you tried dropping the multiplier right down and isolating the clock?

I wouldn't loosen the timings, apparently amd x2 rigs love tight timings (drool at my 2-5-2-3 :p)

Ant :cool:

put your memory on to a divider, try 166 thats what i have done, that will bring your memory speed down to about 195mhz.
Then increase your fsb, at 250fsb your memory should be about 200mhz, then just keep increasing your fsb until it becomes unstable then increase your voltage by 0.025v

Im @2.8 1.55v fsb255 ram on 166 divider
idle 34c load 49/53c max

oc.jpg

I've adjusted my case fans and airflow which has dropped my temps to a max of 52deg under load. I've also only just put the new HSF on the cpu too so that usually takes a little while to settle so temps might improve further.
Prime 95 ran for 12hrs fine so it all seems pretty stable to me.
I've just managed to break through the 5K barrier on 3dmark06 and all my games are running really sweet too.
I can run Quake4 (which is optimised for dual core) @1280x1024 max everything on 16AA and it still never dips below the fixed 60fps
CS:S stress test yielded 184fps on max settings :D

I just wish there was a decent overclocking tool for ATI X1XXX cards at the moment so I could use it as the CCC only allows me to clock to680/790 and I'm sure it can go a lot further :(

I'm well chuffed with the cpu clocks though.

Thanks for all your Help :D

Last edited:
volt9291 said:
not a problem :cool:

Yeah the new temps are much better about the same as i get

did you run prime on both cores?

Not sure tbh I looked on the task manager whilst running prime and both cores where being used. Would it be best to selectively test each core indevidually?
I did leave prime running most of last night (about 10hrs) and it didn't report any errors or anything :D

Hawklord said:
Ok running that now. How long should i run it for to see that everything is stable will a couple of hours do or will it need longer?
This seems to stress the cpu's more than prime95 :eek:

Yeah i think its better than prime 95.

run it for as long as you want to! i say anything that runs more than 4-5 hours @100% is stable

if its not stable/as stable as you want it to be, keep adding more volts but keep an eye on the temps :)

Back
Top Bottom