Help, PC keeps cutting out

Si.

Si.

Soldato
HI,

I built a new rig at the weekend but 3 times now it's dropped power (Power cuts out all together) and then automatically came back a few seconds later.. Any idea what the problem might be?

Si.

Si.

Soldato
OP
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB SSD
SilverStone Strider Plus 600W ST60F-PS
ASUS Prime H270-PRO Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FBK2/32 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Black
SilverStone Tundra TD03-Lite Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Armor OC 6GB
NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case White/Black
Intel Core i7 7700

Plus 4 SATA 3.5" Drives.

OS was a complete fresh install of Windows 10

My guess is I'm overloading the PSU with the 4 drives.

Associate
PSU should be able to power as many drives as you like.

It is however a few years old yes?

Do the basics like mem test and check temperatures then it is a case of trying another PSU IMO.

Associate
Sorry links for PSU came up from 2013.

Without cross testing parts it is going to be hard to pin down the problem.

PSU or mobo for me if everything checks out with Temps I guess.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
OP
Yea temps seem fine. Just been playing a game and CPU peaked at 48, GPU 57.

It's only done it 3 times in the last 3 days, and never when under big loads.. Going to pull it apart at the weekend and check all the cables are secure.

Man of Honour
Have you tried updating to the latest bios for your motherboard? The latest is 0323 and improves system stability according to the release notes. Download it from here and put it on a USB stick. Reboot and enter the bios. In the tools tab you will find EZ-Flash 3, use that to flash the bios.

Soldato
Could be PSU but like others said RAM can do this, run Memtest on a USB overnight and see if it throws up any errors. You won't be overloading the PSU with those drives but you could have got a bad batch, those drives probably don't even use 40w for all of them.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
OP
Well, firmware upgrade didn't fix things. It all went fine all day yesterday so I thought that had fixed it, but it just did it again 5 minutes ago, power just cuts out all together then re-starts 10 seconds later. Nothing in event logs to indicate a software issue so I assume it's hardware. As suggested I'll run a Memtest overnight and see what happens.

Associate
Have to say it sounds like psu to me, I had same thing happen with a PC some years ago, fresh install, all good for a few days then it would switch off at random. have to confess I kinda blamed the user for it with all the stuff she had on it. then sitting there while seeing what it could be it happened to me. random shut off and restart. after taking it all apart checking to see if M/B was shorting out ect. and trying different ram, even CPU it still did it. I assumed it couldn't be PSU as that was new, but after swapping out for another it cured the problem. never did it again, RMA time for that PSU and all the time spent trying to sort it you never get back of course.

The thing with an issue like this, it can take a while to track down.

Associate
I agree. Its the PSU. Get an EVGA Supernova PSU. Or what other forum members recommend.

I used to encourage people to get Corsair PSU's but I feel that the quality has dropped somewhat from that company in recent years.

Associate
Corsair PSU's are manufactured by a few different companies depending on model/wattage, and it doesn't scale with price.

Some of them are bulletproof, and some have coil whine.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
OP
I'm still having this issue. It gives all the symptoms of a cable issue but I've checked everything 5 times and it looks fine.

Sometimes the machine don't turn on at all, but if I shake it it will come to life. sometimes I can get a few days out of it with no issues and other times it does it 3-4 times in a row.

Really struggling to find a solution.

Back
Top Bottom