Help please cannot connect S6 to any windows PC Unrecognised device error

Soldato
Hi all,

My son got a S8 for Christmas and I'm trying to sell his S6 but before selling I'd like to get the photos and videos off it.

When I plug it in I get the following error message USB device not recognized

I have tried installing the samsung USB drivers for windows 10

I have entered developers mode to make sure the USB connection is showing as MTP which it is I've tried changing it to PTP but get the same error message.

I've tried deleting the cache by doing a reset Vol UP Power Home button but nothing seems to work.

I'm looking to sell the phone but don't want to sell a dud and have someone come back to me.

The only thing I see which I haven't tried is an original samsung cable as mine broke a long time ago. (Is this even necessary?)

Anyone else had this problem or is there any other way to get the photos and videos off the phone ?

Thanks,

J

Kies is for really old phones it's now smart switch which i tried but it doesn't recognise device.

I looked in device manager and it shows

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

I wonder if the connection isn't damaged the phone charges fine though but it could still be the USB connector I suppose.

Have you tried a different cable if possible? Maybe even a different PC just in case?

Tried both 3 cables and 3 pcs

from further reading it seems like the phone connection must be damaged.

Last edited:
Yes but since the phone cannot connect installing drivers does nothing.

I was hoping a debug mode could check to see if the pins on the phone USB were functioning correctly.

I've tried factory reset now as my son told me he has the photos on the cloud but I still have the same issue.

Thinking outside the box could it be because I don't have a sim card installed?

I know this doesn't solve the connectivity issue, but if you want to get the photos off in the interim, you can stick a 64GB SD card into it, move the photos onto there and then stick it in a card reader. Then at least your son will have the photos while you're still looking into it.

Edit: once the photos are off the device via SD card, and contacts are backed up on a Gmail account etc, try formatting the phone from system settings. Once formatted, see if it will connect to a PC.

Hi all,

My son got a S8 for Christmas and I'm trying to sell his S6 but before selling I'd like to get the photos and videos off it.

When I plug it in I get the following error message USB device not recognized

I have tried installing the samsung USB drivers for windows 10

I have entered developers mode to make sure the USB connection is showing as MTP which it is I've tried changing it to PTP but get the same error message.

I've tried deleting the cache by doing a reset Vol UP Power Home button but nothing seems to work.

I'm looking to sell the phone but don't want to sell a dud and have someone come back to me.

The only thing I see which I haven't tried is an original samsung cable as mine broke a long time ago. (Is this even necessary?)

Anyone else had this problem or is there any other way to get the photos and videos off the phone ?

Thanks,

J

My Galaxy S6 had same issue after upgraded to Android 7.0 a year ago, I was stumped with USB device not recognised, tried other USB ports, uninstalled and reinstalled Smart Switch, reinstalled device driver all not worked. Would not able to backup or update firmware on Smart Switch so I decided to tried unlocked Galaxy S6 lockscreen and connected to PC then I got a USB for file transfer notification on Home Screen I never saw before in Android 6.0 and earlier so it must be Android 7.0 new USB security permission feature, I touched notification bar and then it showed list of 4 choices: MTP, PTP, MIDI or Charging, I touched MTP and then finally Galaxy S6 is connected to PC so I can transfer pictures, backup or update firmware.

Hi Athlon,

What do you mean by unlocked Galaxy S6 lockscreen ?

i have factory reset and take all security off the phone I tried it now on 4 different PC and laptop with 5 different cables including a mates cable that works perfectly with his S7.

I thought it might be a WIN 10 issue but even on Win 7 it's the same.

I know this doesn't solve the connectivity issue, but if you want to get the photos off in the interim, you can stick a 64GB SD card into it, move the photos onto there and then stick it in a card reader. Then at least your son will have the photos while you're still looking into it.

Edit: once the photos are off the device via SD card, and contacts are backed up on a Gmail account etc, try formatting the phone from system settings. Once formatted, see if it will connect to a PC.
It's an S6 the only galaxy that doesn't have an SD slot.

However I backed up my son's photos using Samsung cloud and they are now showing on his new S8 so I factory reset the phone.

Hi Athlon,

What do you mean by unlocked Galaxy S6 lockscreen ?

i have factory reset and take all security off the phone I tried it now on 4 different PC and laptop with 5 different cables including a mates cable that works perfectly with his S7.

I thought it might be a WIN 10 issue but even on Win 7 it's the same.

I mean you swipe lockscreen to unlock Galaxy S6 lockscreen or use Pattern, PIN, Password or fingerprints if you use other methods to unlock lockscreen.

In the past few Smart Switch PC versions, I was able to factory reset my Galaxy S6 from Smart Switch PC but now the later and latest versions removed device reset function so app put up notice advised me to use reset function on Galaxy S6.

I thought my USB ports was faulty or Win 10 issue but it was Android 7.0 new USB notification feature, I don't know why USB notification didn't popped up on lockscreen and it popped up on Home Screen instead.

Found possible workarounds below may help you to change USB configuration to MTP in developer options if you use Android 6.0.

http://gadgetguideonline.com/android/android-marshmallow-guide/usb-options-in-android-marshmallow/

How to enable developer options on Android 7.0.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-get-developer-options-on-android/

Same errors guys, simply put no PC laptop or cable I have tried recognising the USB as a device they all blame the phone hardware not working.

Even a factory reset doesn't seem to work.

I presume therefore it must be a hardware issue with the USB port a faulty connection, pity as the phone is in perfect condition otherwise and I was hoping to sell it.

Back
Top Bottom