• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP Please?? Im Stuck

Associate
Hi guys

Ive just purchased a Q6600 from the This Week Only section and I've mounted it on my P5B Deluxe Mobo. I have an Asus Silent Square cpu cooler that is cooling the Quad..

I have just ran Thermal Analysis Tool and my temperatures idle are CPU 0 @ 52oC and CPU 1 @ 49oC.

When I run Orthos the temps rise to CPU 0 @ 69oC and CPU 1 @67oC.

Can anyone tell me if this is too high or if it is about right for stock settings?

I have removed the H/S and re seated the cooler and the temps are the same as above.

Any help is appreciated as I am now kaking me pants incase I screw this cpu up...

All The Best And Thanks For Any Information Anyone Can Provide..

Kingy

Associate
OP
Ive used Artic Silver 5 and my case is a Lian-Li Pc-70 so there are 2 x 120mm fans front and rear and I have an aftermarket cooler the Asus Silent Square. If i take off the side of the case and put my hand in I can feel the cold air being pumped in from the front so i presume there is enough air flow. I also have no ide drives in my machine they are all sata so no restricted airflow...

I just cant seem to get it lower than 51oc...

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I was told by the guy on the desk at Overclockers UK that I was planning to upgrade to a quad core in the near future and I asked him what CPU Cooler to buy which would suit my needs for my previous E6400 and futureproofing to this Quad Core 6600 I purchased today.. He said that the Asus silent sqaure would cool both cpu proficiently.

To be honest this Silent Square is one Big Muthaf****r with huge heatpipes.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Ive just called overclockers and they said the ideal temperature for the Q6600 should be about 30oc on aircooling.. :confused:

My temp was over that when I had my E6400. I think it was 38 or 39oc..

Im sure 30oc is asking a bit much for standard aircooling when COB is 35oc and hes watercooling his...

Thanks

Cob

Cob

Soldato
~30c idle at stock vcore and clock is certainly possible under air. The stock vcore is only about 1.275v. Some chips are a little lower and some are a little higher.

How much AS5 did you put on the chip?

Associate
OP
Ive put about the size of 2 or 3 grains of rice of artic silver on the chip.. Ive also ran a credit card over the cpu to see if it needed lapping but as far as i can see there was no light visible when i ran the card over the top of the cpu.... The voltage is 1.272 to 1.280.

Idle its running at 51oC and when running Orthos is peaking at 70oC.

Ive resat the cpu 4 times now and no change in temp..

What else can I do?

The Asus Silent Square is huge with an 80mm fan drawing hot air out the back to a 120mm fan. I have a 120mm fan at the front drawing cold air in.. The only place I dont have a fan where there is vents for one on the case is on the top, but i dont think that one would make any difference..

Thanks

Kingy

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Tbh you probably would have been better with a Tuniq Tower 120 or a Noctua NH-U12F for their 120mm fans.

Tho they wouldn't be all that different from the Silent Square.

Associate
OP
So will this temp of 51oC idle and 71oC under load be ok.

Ive just called tech support at OCUK and they told me to bring it back and they would swap it as it seems too high.. BUT... i searched on the forums for Q6600 TEMPS and there were quite a few who were idling at the 50oC mark and one said when he ran MS Flight Sim he was getting 70oC+ while playing..

Im just nervous about stuff like this... I mean £240 is still a lot of money to throw down the drain if it knackers up....

Thanks

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Nah you won't break it. It'll throttle before it burns up.

I've had mine upto 85c under Orthos at 1.5v in Windows.

They can run really hot.

Associate
OP
What temps do these usually throttle at???

I mean if im playing a game and it starts to throttle then there doesnt seem much point in keeping it really does there???....

Are there any more solutions to get it lower or do you think this would be the lowest it will go

Thanks

Cob

Cob

Soldato
They seem to throttle in the mid 80's. But it's unlikely you'll get near that during gaming. All 4 cores need to be flat out with relatively high vcore to get there.

Water is the way to go if you intend to overclock these beasts to their max.

Associate
OP
I turned the pc on today and the temp is now at 55oC idle...

I think im gonna take it back to OCUK as they gave me a RMA number and they said they will doa straight swap..

Thanks

Associate
Kingy1968 said:
I turned the pc on today and the temp is now at 55oC idle...

I think im gonna take it back to OCUK as they gave me a RMA number and they said they will doa straight swap..

Thanks

Might as well, it is unlikely to be running hotter and there might be a G0 stepping one coming your way.

Associate
55c does seen very warm idle, but how hot is your room?

Ive overclocked mine slightly to 2.7ghz and my room is pretty warm, but its still only just over 40c idle with the stock cooler.

Mind you mine does hit 75c on orthos, but im sure under 80c is ok for inside core temps on a Q6600. And it doesnt really go over 70c when on 100% load from a game or application.

Associate
OP
HAAA HAAAAAA!!! Maybe someone could help me here...

As I posted above my temps idle on my q6600 are around the 51-55oC mark using TAT or CORETEMP program...

However if i reboot my machine and then go into the bios and then go to the Hardware Monitor my cpu and motherboard temperature show in there as 34oC and 34oC.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be the problem?

I mean is the bios hardware monitor more accurate than the TAT and Coretemp program?

Thanks

Associate
Tbh i think too many peeps worry about TAT, Speedfan and Orthos temps too much. At the end of the day the CPU temp is being monitored by the mobo, most mobos have an alarm setting, find out the general temps that you should worry about and set it to that.

My mobo reports 10c lower than the above programmes, maybe it's wrong, maybe its measuring temps and a different point on the cpu, but thats the beast thats looking after my CPU. You gotta have some faith in the temp reading as i don't think Asus, Gigabyte etc etc want to have a mass cpu meltdown on their hands :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom