Help please in choosing a new sound card

Associate
Hi peeps,

I'm really stuck. Building a new PC and I cant decide on the soundcard as I've totally lost touch with whats good and whats not. So, I'll start by saying I've got a Creative Audigy Gamer card and have been very happy with it. I use it primarily for gaming with a Corsair headset but also listen to MP3's over my 5.1 speakers.

I've been recommended the Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp but am a bit worried that because it doesnt support EAX, games will sound crap. Is EAX still important these days? I've also heard people have big problems with the drivers for these cards. Is this true?

That said, I've taken a look at the Creative series and from what I've read, they've also had their fair share of driver issues as well. The Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 7.1 Sound Card looks like a fantastic card but at £65 is £40 more expensive than that Xonar and I still dont know if I'll miss EAX

The other thing going for the Xonar is the built in headphones amp. However, I've never had a problem with my current Corsairs so I can't see why a built in amp would be any better?

Confused? I know I am but I want to sort it out today so I can get building at the weekend.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom