Help please new 144hz monitor

Associate
Hello,

Can anyone advise me please, recently set up my new Omen 25 144hz monitor via display port cable I have set the reset rate on my pc to 144hz and fraps is showing games running at 140 FPS with my 1070 gpu. However I really notice zero difference between my old Samsung 60hz monitor and 144hz monitor what am I doing wrong? or are the people reviewing these things saying 144hz wow best ever etc full of crap?

Also I have set my monitor to HP Enhance + there is a Gaming setup but this is Freesync and I have a Nvidia GPU so when I choose this option you get a msg stating Freesync enabled which I don't want I would assume or will it affect anything at all?

And on another topic for sound I use Kraken Razer 7.1 headset which is awesome . When I use the front USB to me sounds great I read that you should always use the back USB so switched to that and I am not joking it nearly left me deaf it was so loud you would think it was the sound of mighty Zeus bellowing at you from atop Olympus! it sounds horrible distorted too weirdly I think this is only recently because when I first got this pc I'm sure I had the headset in the back usb connectors what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance

Shane

Soldato
Erm, if the monitor is saying it's set to 144 Hz (check its OSD) and FRAPS is showing 144 FPS (anything lower than this will result in stuttering, which pretty much ruins the "smooth" effect of >60Hz IMO) then it's working fine. maybe you're just not very sensitive to it? I only really notice when my FPS dips to 70-ish so I guess anything above that looks great to me. Enabling or disabling FreeSync on the monitor will make no difference as the nVidia GPU doesn't support it; it'll be stuck at 144 Hz.

Associate
OP
thank you for the replies, I notice I have less eye strain now than what I used to so I wonder if its making a difference and a level I don't notice like you mentioned. Could be I'm juts getting too old to make any difference on me haha

Soldato
I had a PG279Q going from an old Dell.

I comprehended there was a different, but I wasn't blown away either.

Panels can only change their pixels so quickly, and I think it's this that we're noticing more than anything.

Soldato
I had a PG279Q going from an old Dell.

I comprehended there was a different, but I wasn't blown away either.

Panels can only change their pixels so quickly, and I think it's this that we're noticing more than anything.
Remember you're inherently reducing input lag too when you're using a higher refresh rate monitor, assuming your GPU can keep up of course.

Associate
I don't think that you really notice that much with a 144Hz monitor but what you do notice is that you hit things faster and more accurately in First Person Shooters - which of course is why many people buy the monitors. It's not night and day, but it gives you an advantage and many people will pay for that. Also you definitely will notice a difference when you go back to 60Hz.

Back
Top Bottom