1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by AdamScott85, Sep 18, 2018.

1. AdamScott85

Hitman

Hey guys,

Unfortunately I ended up ordering a power supply to replace mine and picked up an Evga 1300w PSU from a seller. Before I changed the PSU I had no issues. Since changing today I am now getting 5 short beeps on each boot. Other than that the pc seems to work fine. Should I return the unit as faulty? I never had this issue with my Corsair PSU. I have tried setting bios as default and this never helped.

Lee.

2. AdamScott85

Hitman

So a few updates with this. I tried going back to my old power supply and same issue. Here is what else I have troubleshooted.
    - I stripped the computer and rebuilt ensuing all cables and connectors are correctly installed.
    - Tried each gpu on its own, no fix
    - Tried all 8 sticks of ram on there own, no fix.
    - Tried removing the battery and resetting the cmos, no fix.
    - Tried with a single ssd and all, no fix.

I am really stumped here. 5 beeps on gigabyte seems to point to the clock speed, but even on default its doing it and the beeping is damn loud. The motherboard has the code AA which I believe means its working correctly and when booted up it seems fine. Should I ignore this annoying beeping? I just don't understand what has started this off, before I replaced the PSU there was never 5 beeps so this is a little strange.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  3. AdamScott85

Hitman

Just updated to latest bios and still the same, I am thinking I may need to change the motherboard...even though it's working fine? Could it be a motherboard short?

4. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Are you using the cables that came with the EVGA? Is the EVGA brand new? I believe that the Corsair should have a 10 year warranty so you can RMA it.

5. EsaT

Mobster

What about replacing battery?
    (or did you check its voltage?)

6. AdamScott85

Hitman

I have not tried replacing the battery no, but before I changed the PSU this wasn't happening. Even on default voltage it's doing it. I am lost as what is causing this.

@ PastyMuncher, I am using only the cables that came with the PSU and yes it was unopened. I do have a 10 year warranty, but the issue hasn't been caused by the power supply and is happening on my old one now too. I say issue, but the pc is fine apart from the beeps on boot, but it doesn't do it when you restart.

7. SilverTongue

Wise Guy

Might help to say what motherboard you have but 5 shirt beeps on gigabyte boards tends to be CPU error .

8. AdamScott85

Hitman

Gigabyte Gaming 7 x99, think its this or very similar. https://www.gigabyte.com/de/Motherboard/GA-X99-Gaming-7-WIFI-rev-10#ov .Why would changing the PSU suddenly bring a cpu error? Checked the chip last night and the pins and looks normal. Would be gutted if I had to replace my CPU, it's the 5960x. Surely if the CPU or Motherboard really had issues, I would get bluescreens? It just seems too much of a coincidence that it only started after changing the psu, obiviously I know the psu is fine now but it is still odd.

9. AdamScott85

Hitman

So just home from work, I have tried memtest through today and left it running, it passed. I have reseated the cpu and checked pins again and it looks fine.

10. AdamScott85

Hitman

Mystery solved, just borrowed a magnyfier off my friend and I have some bent pins on one side of the board, about 10. God knows what has caused that but a new board will be ordered :(
    So I need a new motherboard because there are few too many pins and its a mess. I don't want to spend a fortune though, just spend £1550 on 2 cards and then an sli bridge and PSU!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018