HELP PSU OVER BY 77W!!!!!

Associate
I have my standard 300w psu which came with my vintage AH1 i've noticed the volts have started to fluctuate a LOT so i turned it off and went on my lappy to find out if i'm usisng too much power and according to

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

I am over :confused:

Is this right for a AMD 3000 venice 1.4V(clocked to 2.3 at 1.45V) with a 6600 GT 2 sticks of giel value 512mb ram 2 sata hdrives and a dvd/dvd-rw????

Associate
I think the current PSU calculator is broken, it only calulates 250W when I put in your system specs. As long as it isnt randomly rebooting and its a quality PSU (antec/tagan/zalman/enermax/hiper) then it shouldn't be a problem. By how much are the voltages fluctuating?

Soldato
Try

psu calculator

Btw i checked from what you told us on extreme site and your psu usage is 275w @100 utilization. So your 300w should be ok as long as its a good make.

Btw what is your volts for things like 12+ and 5+ rails and such? Oh and i assumed when you did dvd/dvdrw you meant 2 drives 1 normal and 1 rw one. If its just a combi dvdrw then ** watts usage is 248w.

Last edited:
Associate
possum said:
I'm asking if it is correct NOT what new psu i should get!!!!!

Well what makes you think that the result is not correct?

Anyway, I punched in the numbers you gave and it came up with 248w @ 100%

But you didnt tell us what PCI card (if any) you're using, how many fans, USB devices etc, so I doubt that is accurate

Associate
OP
2x92mm fans 1x120mm
2 usb devices
onboard sound

well this started 2 happen on my dads and he wouldn't listen 2 me and it died a month ***

Soldato
Can you tell us the exact ranges of fluctuations ** experiancing especially on 12+ rail. Regardless of 300w you need for amd 64 cpu a 12+ rail that can sustain 18v power as recomended by amd.

Perhaps you just need a upgrade in psu as any amd 64 system really would use 400w. Especially as you say "from a vintage" case.

Associate
possum said:
2x92mm fans 1x120mm
2 usb devices
onboard sound

well this started 2 happen on my dads and he wouldn't listen 2 me and it died a month ***

I'd still recommend a new power supply though, or consider it as your next component to buy :)

Associate
SkeeterPSA said:
Can you tell us the exact ranges of fluctuations ** experiancing especially on 12+ rail. Regardless of 300w you need for amd 64 cpu a 12+ rail that can sustain 18v power as recomended by amd.

Perhaps you just need a upgrade in psu as any amd 64 system really would use 400w. Especially as you say "from a vintage" case.

The system came with the 300W PSU to start with. It is the
Asus Vintage AH1 Barebones System - AMD Socket 939

But, yeh its not for overclocking with a Biostat board in there now.

If its possible to test the voltage rails when its running and see if the multi meter reads out the same and the board then I think its just as simple as a new PSU.

Id say seasonic 430W. I have the 600w version and by the same calculation system I have about 30W to spare. But even under 100% load for hours and hours on end. The PSU still stays quiet and the fans doesnt spin up.

So seasonic for silence id say.

SkeeterPSA said:
If you can't afford a new psu then return ** cpu to stock levels and think about removing some unneccasary items from computer to get it down to 300w ish.

Thats would hurt his pride :p in our little group.

But I guess it wouldnt hurt his wallet. :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
i am definatly getting a new 1 but my funds for the next 3 months are very limited so i can't get a new so i will be leaving it off. I just need to confirm that my suspicions are correct before i have 2 leave it off

Soldato
Hmm i supose it "might" be ok for general windows use but no stressing anything like gaming or 3dmarks or whatever. Just basic computer use like desktop stuff and internet should be ok untill u can buy a psu.

Associate
Jesus, get a new PSU. 300W for any A64 is asking for trouble, especially if the PSU came with the case - 90% of case PSU's are crap (apart from SFF PC's which are generally quite decent).

Also, the 300W rating is at optimal usage, the hotter the PSU gets the less power it can provide, so that figure is most likely lower in real life. I'd want a brand name 400W+ PSU for that rig. And by brand name i don't mean QTec...

Oh and if you're having isssues return the CPu to stock as suggested above. That should be your first port of call.

Back
Top Bottom