Help !!! Spec me a PC please with future proofing

Associate
Apologies for the long post but in short, I require some build advice. Through previous advice from members, I purchased a Germanium build from here a few years ago now albeit with minor customisations but have since given this rig away. It is a great machine.

I’m not specifying a budget cap for the new rig as this might limit what builds you specify by trimming components to fit into the budget. Options would be great though. i.e., what would you buy now?

I’d like to be somewhat future proofed so thinking AMD offers more routes. Motherboard wise, something reliable, has avenues for additional storage devices, has good cooling/voltage. I don’t need onboard wifi either.

Main use for this rig would be database/excel work, possible YT content creation, web browsing with multiple windows and occasional gaming.

I don’t want to overpay on the GPU right now but would like something that wont bottleneck the remaining system nor give me an experience I would not enjoy.

The only components I am carrying over are the secondary monitor (24” Dell) and the Corsair Keyboard so I need pretty much a full system.

My main monitor would be an UW 34/38” curved monitor. I’m toying with getting the AW3423DW which is 165MHz unless something else comes out.

I’d like a NVME as the boot drive, maybe (1/2TB) with a quick secondary drive for storing data. If prices are reasonable then 32GB. 16GB might be all I need but looking at future proofing. I’m not one for upgrading much once bought other than additional storage or a better GPU.

The cases I always liked the look of were the Be Quiet range but ultimately it needs to be quiet. have great cooling and give me scope for fitting a larger GPU. So maybe a larger PSU too.

As always, I’ll continue reading the other posts where builds are listed and thanks to anybody who takes the time to provide me one.

Man of Honour
Soldato
If going Intel then depending on what software etc you'd be using to edit videos, it might be worth getting a cpu with build in graphics so you can use the included encoders. Could speed up certain tasks significantly, and also gives you flexibility, e.g to take the gpu out at some point and still have a working PC.

The 13700F don't have the built in graphics, so I'd be tempted to go for a 13700 instead for about £30 more (ocuk don't sell) or a 13700K (oddly seems to be about the same price as the 13700, and ocuk do sell it).

Last edited:
Soldato
It should be a case of choosing a latest edition motherboard and then going cheaper / slower end of the market on cpu ram and graphics really.
not a lot else too it than that.

Associate
OP
Any AMD build suggestions? think I'd like to go this route.

I feared Intel don't give me the future proofing given the need to replacement motherboard if new CPUs arrive.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Associate
OP
Hi all.

Still doing my research and have an enquiry please.

Seems the 7800X3D is the go to for gaming and the 7900X3D would be better if there was mixed useage i.e. Productivity with the increased cores and threads.

If my usage was mixed and by mixed it would be either gaming or encoding but not at the same time then which would be better. How bad would the 7800X3D be? I'm watching tons of reviews on it but they only go to show its the best for gaming.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Hi all.

Still doing my research and have an enquiry please.

Seems the 7800X3D is the go to for gaming and the 7900X3D would be better if there was mixed useage i.e. Productivity with the increased cores and threads.

If my usage was mixed and by mixed it would be either gaming or encoding but not at the same time then which would be better. How bad would the 7800X3D be? I'm watching tons of reviews on it but they only go to show its the best for gaming.

Thanks.
The 7800x3d in productivity performs just below the 7700x .

Associate
OP
First hope everybody has a great weekend and if anybody finds themselves on here in the next day or so can take some of that time to reply to this post, it would be so very welcome.

I'm after somebody to critique the selections I have made below. I've read multiple posts on this site over the past weeks taking stacks of notes and taking all of it onboard have made the choices below. I would hope the build should more than meet my needs for several years. Some areas I cannot see myself needing to change but in others I leaves some scope to improve.

I'm unsure if I've overcooked on any parts and can trim anyplace or actually If I need to spend more. I've gone for the AMD R9 7950 as it gives me both gaming and productivity options where the 7800X3D/7900X3D only excel in one. I've picked a motherboard which seems good enough and has most of what I require. One quick SSD for Windows and regularly used software/games and a slightly slower secondary drive for data/games.

Not sure if I need the 360 radiator or even if it will fit and could make do with a 240. I'm pretty set on the case. Reviews were very good and it seemed to tick all the boxes for me. It has a meshed front so it can suck the air in, its quiet and cool. Would I need more cooling? The case already comes with 4 fans. I've gone for 2 sticks of Ram such that i wont need to upgrade it in future.

Really unsure of the GPU. I know most say the ratio is the GPU should be twice the price of the CPU but i can't see the argument/benefit of spending £1k on one if i don't plan to play games with RTX or am bothered if i had to turn the feature off. I'll only be playing strategy games so wanted something with more vram. Will my choice be a bottleneck. I still plan to game at 1440 on an UW34 monitor.

Anyway on this basis can somebody spot any obvious areas i can improve. Is any of my logic above flawed? I should add i can spend more if needed. I was planning on getting OC to build this. For this reason I've selected W11 as i assume they wont install it and let me activate with my own license. What did confuse me is there are only DVD versions yet i have not selected a DVD drive.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,733.78 (includes delivery: £11.99)​

Soldato
The dom plat ram is a waste as am5 seems to have issues going above 6000mhz. But some 6000mhz cas 30 expo ram for less money. That is the sweet spot for am5.

PSU. Buy an atx v3 one so no need to upgrade down the line and its cheaper with double the warrenty period!!

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £124.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

The 690xt is a great card but I would go for the faster (and more frugal) 7900xt. Although it is more expensive.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £799.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

You can add your own copy of windows to your pc after OC have built it as they offer the option to not buy it from them. Just buy a key and download the software iso from microsoft.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks dfour.

Will amend the PSU and switch the GPU.

Regards Windows i was hoping they would install it with activation and as you state, just buy a key. I have the file already downloaded on a USB drive. I'll enquire what options they give me.

Man of Honour
Thanks dfour.

Will amend the PSU and switch the GPU.

Regards Windows i was hoping they would install it with activation and as you state, just buy a key. I have the file already downloaded on a USB drive. I'll enquire what options they give me.
I think you should match m2 drives both sn 770 in your build , case the 360mm aio only fits in the front so check GPU clearance.

Still think your overspending getting a 79050x3d does your most demanding task use 16 cores ?

Associate
OP
Thanks mickyflinn.

I will amend the m2 drive. I've sent the build to OC Sales. Just thought I'd benefit by having faster boot and slightly slower secondary. AIO i'll look at 240 options if required. I#'m sure they'll tell me the same thing as you have done.

In terms of the 7950, the 7800 seemed to be sweet if my needs were just gaming, 7900 not got great reviews for the price and weaker in gaming, but the 7950 gave me best of both. I'm not sure if my most demanding tasks will need all 16. Other than the gaming then it would be the video work that i can imagine would be the most tasking. This CPU may allow me to do both together. Also i would not need to update it for several years and if i did then i might get some money back. All I could see myself needing in future would be more storage and a better GPU.

Man of Honour
Thanks mickyflinn.

I will amend the m2 drive. I've sent the build to OC Sales. Just thought I'd benefit by having faster boot and slightly slower secondary. AIO i'll look at 240 options if required. I#'m sure they'll tell me the same thing as you have done.

In terms of the 7950, the 7800 seemed to be sweet if my needs were just gaming, 7900 not got great reviews for the price and weaker in gaming, but the 7950 gave me best of both. I'm not sure if my most demanding tasks will need all 16. Other than the gaming then it would be the video work that i can imagine would be the most tasking. This CPU may allow me to do both together. Also i would not need to update it for several years and if i did then i might get some money back. All I could see myself needing in future would be more storage and a better GPU.
Would take this motherboard over the Asrock for the same price

Associate
OP
Thanks again. Other than the wifi which i wont need what is better with this board? what am i not seeing.

I'm amending my case as it seems the FX version has the LW fans and still meets my asthetic and userbility needs.

Associate
OP
Man of Honour
Thanks again. Other than the wifi which i wont need what is better with this board? what am i not seeing.

I'm amending my case as it seems the FX version has the LW fans and still meets my asthetic and userbility needs.
Better audio more Sata ports if needed but generally the MSI TOMAHAWK is better.

Again the aio will fit at the front only but as long as your happy with that then all's good otherwise you need a larger case if you want the 360mm aio at the top.

Alternative case and 360mm aio that will fit in the top of the case

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £267.97 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Associate
OP
I just assumed the 7950 would need a 360 radiator to cool it but if i have to go with a smaller or even air cooler then i'll go that route provided they are enough. Worst case is changing the case. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom