Help Spec Me an OcUK Bundle Please

Associate
Would be really grateful if some of you could help me pick out a new gaming PC. I plan on buying one in the next couple of weeks from OcUK, as it basically allows me to pick and choose parts for a custom build without having to actually build it myself.

I have a couple of specific requirements:

- It must be very quiet. My current computer has always been really loud - not sure whether this noise is from the fans in the power supply, graphics card, or the rig itself. Whatever the cause, I want everything on my new PC to be blissfully quiet and will happily pay extra to achieve this.

- I want a Motherboard with a LAN chip that is guaranteed to work fine with Windows 10 and a Powerline Adapter internet set-up. My current one doesn't seem to be recognised properly by W10. It works most of the time but then once or twice a day it just goes offline without warning, even though the internet itself is working fine. This is frustrating to say the least when gaming online and I absolutely do not want to be affected by this problem with my new PC.

And more general requirements:

- Will be using it mainly for gaming and everyday stuff. I want to be able to run games as well as possible for my budget, both older releases (GTA, Dota, Planet Coaster), newer releases (NieR, Dishonored 2), and upcoming releases (Shadow of War, DiRT 4, Darksiders III, etc). After my specific requirements this is my main priority. I basically want to be able to play any new release on high-to-highest graphical settings for the next few years.

- Name of the site I'm on notwithstanding, I don't know anything about overclocking besides the slightly worrying implication that it probably reduces the system's lifespan, so that's probably best avoided.

- I want to buy a new monitor to go with it at the same time, so if you could include that with the bundle that'd be great. Again, the best bang I can get for my buck.

- The case needs to have a slot for a DVD drive, but the bundle itself doesn't need to come with one; I'll just recycle my current one.

- Would like an SSD since I read good things about them. Don't need another mechanical HD (again, will just recycle my current one).

- Needs to include a copy of Windows.

Budget - ~£1,300. Happy to go a little higher if doing so would be really worth it.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to help me!

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,560.17
(includes shipping: £15.30)

There's cheaper motherboards but this one has Intel NIC/LAN. Cheaper PSUs too, this one has Eco Mode to turn fan off completely under 50% power usage or so.

Way over budget. Just sounds like the kind of build power you're reaching for, to give you an idea. To bring cost down, you could settle for a slightly less powerful card (RX 480/580 8GB/GTX 1060 6GB) and a 1920x1080 monitor.

There'd be a build fee. OcUK quote the fee on a spec-to-spec basis, it isn't set in stone. Customer Service forum good place to show the spec you decide on and receive a quote/feedback.

I think the new AMD cooler is pretty decent noise-wise, and it won't have to work as hard if you're not overclocking.

Very slightly cheaper Intel i5-K build:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,505.16
(includes shipping: £15.30)

Board runs DDR4 RAM at 2400MHz max. It has Intel NIC/LAN too. CPU doesn't come with cooler so aftermarket one is needed. Don't usually recommend 1-year warranty OEM CPUs but the system itself will come with a 3-year warranty unless I'm mistaken.

I'd recommend the AMD 1600 over this, due to its better performance in games that use a lot of cores/threads, especially heading into the future, but if you need to save wherever possible, this might help a bit towards a GPU/monitor you really want.

Associate
OP
Thanks Danny, very useful.

I have a few follow-up questions:

- Would there be a noticeable difference in noise level between the Ryzen with included cooler and the i5 with that heatsink you included in the second bundle?

- For both bundles, is there any merit to upgrading to a be Quiet! CPU cooler? Or won't it make much difference either way?

- Finally, this may be a dumb question but... how do I pick out that case when configuring my build on OcUK? The Tech Labs dampening cases aren't amongst the options, although be Quiet! cases do show up - would one of those be a good alternative?

Soldato
Thanks Danny, very useful.

I have a few follow-up questions:

- Would there be a noticeable difference in noise level between the Ryzen with included cooler and the i5 with that heatsink you included in the second bundle?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say not really (you may have to tune the cooler fan to your liking though, in the BIOS or with software). You'd notice noise more if overclocking and having to ramp up the fan. When gaming, the GPU fans are likely to be noisier anyway (fine when idling). I mean sure, you're getting lower DB with even better/beefier coolers but I think it won't be necessary in this case, unless you don't mind spending extra for peace of mind.

- Finally, this may be a dumb question but... how do I pick out that case when configuring my build on OcUK? The Tech Labs dampening cases aren't amongst the options, although be Quiet! cases do show up - would one of those be a good alternative?

The BeQuiet cases do come highly recommended.

You don't have to restrict your choices to the Configurator options. Just add stuff to your basket, then click on Basket and look for the BBCode button at the bottom. Click that and then Paste into a thread you open in the Customer Service forum (when you're ready to talk to OcUK staff about the build) or here.

Associate
OP
I'm going to stick my neck out and say not really (you may have to tune the cooler fan to your liking though, in the BIOS or with software). You'd notice noise more if overclocking and having to ramp up the fan. When gaming, the GPU fans are likely to be noisier anyway (fine when idling). I mean sure, you're getting lower DB with even better/beefier coolers but I think it won't be necessary in this case, unless you don't mind spending extra for peace of mind.

The BeQuiet cases do come highly recommended.

You don't have to restrict your choices to the Configurator options. Just add stuff to your basket, then click on Basket and look for the BBCode button at the bottom. Click that and then Paste into a thread you open in the Customer Service forum (when you're ready to talk to OcUK staff about the build) or here.

Excellent, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom