Help troubleshooting graphics issue / BSOD

Associate
Hi gang. This has been driving me nuts. I have a desktop PC with an MSI Geforce 970 and Windows 10 and it started behaving erratically this month. The system has been running fine for 2.5 years and I haven't installed any new hardware recently.

I've been getting random, frequent BSODs (VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR). Sometimes during gaming, sometimes when browsing. Can happen 5 minutes into a session, or an hour, or the machine can get into an infinite reboot loop. Sometimes it'll run fine an entire session until I shut down. At times I get the BSOD, other times I get a sudden reboot. Sometimes it will happen from a cold start, so I don't think it's temperature related. Sometimes you'll see it coming because artifacts will start appearing on screen (coloured boxes or vertical/horizontal lines), followed by the BSOD a few seconds later. The artifacts will sometimes appear on the UEFI screen as well.

Obviously it appears to be a graphics card issue, or so I thought. I RMA'd it to OcUK and while that happened I used the onboard graphics, my system ran stably during that time. OcUK came back a day later and said they've put the gfx card through their tests and all came back A-OK. They sent the card back to me. I slotted it back in and my system ran fine for almost a week, so I thought maybe this had all been user error - the card wasn't seated properly or some components were touching each other or whatever.

That was until a couple of days ago, when the problems started happening again.

I've no clue. What should I try next? Thanks!

Here's a couple of shots to show what I mean: https://imgur.com/a/1BcC3 . After the artifacts appear Windows crashes within seconds.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My full spec is

CA-003-SF SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply
HD-191-SA Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps
2 more SSD drives I installed later on
GX-259-MS MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5
MY-033-TG TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11
2x4GB Crucial RAM
HS-041-PL Prolimatech 81 CPU Cooler - 120mm
MB-616-AS Asus Z97M-Plus Intel Z97 (Socket 1150)
CP-539-IN Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150

Everything running stock, I haven't done any overclocking.

I hadn't thought of RAM being the issue, could well be. But OcUK ran the graphics card through benchmarks, so that would have caught it, right? Also while I ran onboard graphics my system ran fine. It's worth a try though, so I will - thanks.

Only have one PCI-e slot that I can use.

Soldato
MY-033-TG TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11
2x4GB Crucial RAM
When did you add the extra memory - or was it mix and match from the start?

Did they have the same timings/voltage - or did you set the one lot of memory manually to the lower settings of the other?

If memtest doesn't yield any result i would remove the one of the set of memory and run with 2 sticks - if you still get a problem switch them for the other sticks.

Soldato
The Crucial:
  • DDR3 PC3-12800 • 9-9-9-24 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •
The Team Group:
  • 1600MHz RAM Speed
  • CAS 11-11-11-28 Timings
  • 1.50-1.60v VDIMM

Download CPUz and check what your memory timings are set at under the memory tab. Also it may be worth looking at the voltage setting it's defaulted at in the BIOS.

Soldato
Sorry forgot to mention, I can see in the BIOS it defaulted to 1.5V
If it's defaulted to 11 11 11 28 1600MHz then you could try bumping up the voltage to 1.55V - to help the TEAM Group out and wont be a problem for the Crucial.

Although you may not even be running at 1600MHz if you didn't manually set up the memory.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help so far! Sorry I didn't check back in earlier.

The night I posted my system was refusing to boot (at most I got to the Windows logon screen followed by BSOD, but generally it was in a reboot loop) so I couldn't install CPU-Z. Then I opened up the case to remove a pair of RAM sticks, but before I did that, I decided to remove the graphics card and re-seat it. It's been running stably since! Will see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

Here are my CPU-Z stats: https://imgur.com/2PyWheq

I did a pass of Memtest and came back 100% green. Does that rule out RAM issues?

Back
Top Bottom