• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help: Upgrade Prescott CPU to Dual Core?

Associate
Hi all

Is it possible to replace an Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2 GHz (Front Bus Speed 800 MHz & Cache 1024 kB) which is currently sitting in a Sunshine GA-8I915PM mobo with a new dual core CPU? I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way of upgrading my computer.

Big thanxs as usual xoxoxo

Bob

Associate
Unfortunately not. The 915 chipset does not support pentium D.
I believe the lowest chipset supporting Pentium D is the 945 but not all of them do.
So, it would mean a new motherboard & re-installing windows.
If you decided to go with the new motherboard, it would be foolish not to go for one which also supports the much faster core 2 duo processor. These can be found for as low as £50.
If you were to post your full current specs with a budget, then people will be able to advise the best upgrade path.
Most important to know would be : What RAM do you currently have & is your graphics card AGP or PCI-E ? (I assume you would want to re-use these parts).

Man of Honour
You probably wouldn't be able to replace the motherboard cos it is a pre-built PC. Even if the Micro-ATX board is standard format and a new one would fit in the case doesn't necessarily mean the wiring on the PSU is.

I'd say any upgrade you would have to budget for a new case and PSU in addition to the mobo and whatever else.

Suspended
FerretBoy said:
Also unless you are loaded or run programs that can utalise both cores I would save your money.

Windows itself uses dual core, so anything run under windows that would normally hog a single core, will still be usable. ie encoding a movie- 100% load on a single core, 50% per core on a dual core.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice

I think Ill stick with the existing mobo for a while longer then and ignore the Dual core upgrade path. My existing chip is a Prescott 3.2Ghz - is it worthwhile upgrading this to a faster Prescott variant? ....and although this is a CPU thread could I indulge and ask if it is worthwhile upgrading my ATI X600 graphics card (i want to run the 24" Dell TFT when I get the pennies) and adding to the two x 512mb memory sticks I have installed? The PC is a plain old home computer that is used to surf, word process, light gaming and internet usage.

Again, I appreciate all advice

Bob xoxoxo

Soldato
squiffy said:
Windows itself uses dual core, so anything run under windows that would normally hog a single core, will still be usable. ie encoding a movie- 100% load on a single core, 50% per core on a dual core.

Yeah sorry, when running multiple programs it helps too, the gain from one program on one thread and the services on the other is not exactly amazing though.

If this is for games then you are better off upgrading a graphics card over the CPU. Currently a 3.2GHz P4 is just fine for games and I don't see this changing this year...

Associate
OP
Cheers - great advice and I really appreciate it.

Ill leave both the mobo and cpu well alone. What advice could I have re the graphics card (I would have more money available to spend because im retaining the mobo/cpu so price isnt a limiting factor now!!!). Likewise am i better to beef up the RAM and if so, do I need to bin the existing sticks to upgrade?

Thanks again

Bob

Soldato
Assuming its a PCI-Express slot (you will need to check!!!)...

Not really been keeping up to date on gfx cards, but the X1800 XT is only £141 here, that seems like a sensible choice. You probably want to ask on the graphics card forums. Of course you can spend a lot more, but assuming you will play games you probably don't want to spend a lot less...

As for 2GB then you might see a benefit in some games, but it's really a minority. If you do go for it research what memory you can use on that boards, if it has 2 free slots then you might as well use them, google about for peoples experciance with the board.

If I where you then I would get the X1800 XT and leave the ram alone, use the PC until it cannot do what you need it to do and then go for a 'full build your own' and have some overclocking fun.

Associate
OP
The video card is a ATI Radeon X600 (RV380 Pro) with PCI Express Interface so I'll buy a X1800 XT or similar and hold off on the RAM [may be able to get a 24" Dell sooner than I thought lol!!!]

Thanks for all your kind assistance

cheers, Bob

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like it, on your motherboards spec page it also has a X16 PCI-Express slot. Do you know what your PSU is?

It depends but an X1800 XT could be quite a lot to ask of it and I'd also check it will actually fit physically in the case since it is a large card and takes up the slot below it plus some space below that for air to the fan.

If space and PSU is an issue I'd recommend a 7600 GT instead, since it will be similar to the X1600 in that respect but also a lot faster (though the 7600 GT is quite a lot slower than an X1800 XT).

Associate
In the event that an 1800XT may be asking a bit much of your PSU, then The OCUK 7900GS 256MB is a great alternative & somewhat cheaper. It's a fair bit faster than the 7600GT.

Back
Top Bottom