Help with cleaning - water marks on wood

Associate
Hello all, odd request:

Does anyone have any tips for removing white water marks from wooden surfaces?

For some bizarre reason, the surface around the sink in my bathroom is made of polished wood! Consequently, there are some white marks - limescale I guess - that have built up around the tap.

I need to find a method of removing them that doesn't involve sanding and re-varnishing!

Cheers

Associate
OP
( |-| |2 ][ $ said:
it might just need to dry out. I've heard of varnished wood going white before.

The wood is dry, the marks are only on the surface, so it's not too serious. Just difficult to get the marks off. Here's a pic

watermarks.JPG

Soldato
You could try a little vinegar. I strongly suggest you put a very small amount on a cotton bud to test it first in an inconspicous area. If it is a gloss varnish (can't really see from the photo), you could use a glass cleaner, again, test it first.

Associate
Vinegar seems to be the remedy for many household chores! Genius if you ask me and looks like it did a good job for a quick once over!

Not that it'll help the limescale... but try using some baby oil on a cloth to shine up your taps! ;)

Hehehe :p

Soldato
The vinegar is going to be disolving the limescale, but it is also going to be damaging the varnish. Unfortunately this is only going to keep on coming back, and you will have to do a sand and re-varnish occasionally.

(Sailor!)

-Leezer-

Back
Top Bottom