Help with domain transfer

Associate
Looking for some advice, I always made websites from scratch ie bought a new domain name and hosting together and build a website.

However I'm doing a site for a charity that already have a website and domain name but this is with a different hosting company which we don't have access to cpanel... Just a guy to email. This hosting and domain run out soon.

I now have the new website that I have on my dev server.
I want to use vidahost for hosting and domain name like I usually do.

Do I sign up for hosting and domain name transfer?
I have no problem getting the site onto the hosting it's just what do I do with the domain name? Can I sign up for hosting and domain together put the content on the host then change the name server? What about the ip tag?

Also is there one email that is used with the domain. I'm happy changing mx records and setting the new settings up in there outlook... However is there a way to make sure there will be no email loss? As I thought it takes 24 hours for mx records to proper gate?

Or am I making this more complicated then it is

Cheers

Soldato
Get your new host to transfer the domain over to them. I did this a couple of years back with a website. If I remember rightly, it was all done in a couple of hours once my new hosts had all the info they needed from the old host.

Soldato
Also is there one email that is used with the domain. I'm happy changing mx records and setting the new settings up in there outlook... However is there a way to make sure there will be no email loss? As I thought it takes 24 hours for mx records to proper gate?

1 Set up your new hosting and get all the website files on there
2 Configure the dns and mx records to point to the new host
3 leave it 24 hours
4 transfer the domain to new host (and check that all the dns/mx entries are still correct)

Associate
1 Set up your new hosting and get all the website files on there
2 Configure the dns and mx records to point to the new host
3 leave it 24 hours
4 transfer the domain to new host (and check that all the dns/mx entries are still correct)

This. But before you change the DNS - check if your emails are IMAP or POP. If they are IMAP, set them up as POP and get it all downloaded to your PC otherwise once you switch over you will lose everything (and may have to buy another month at your first hosting to be able to get them back - as long as they don't cancel your account and remove it all, it should be fine)

Back
Top Bottom