Help with EK GPU Block state

Associate
Hi guys!

I'm new here and sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section.

Basically, I've had my custom loop for a year now and wanted to check it for corrosion. I decided to check my GPU Block and saw this. https://ibb.co/gZvk4Jw

Is this looking dangerous? It's a full nikel EK block for Titan X Maxwell. I run Mayhems Pure H20 and a drop of Mayhems Biocide Extreme.

If you need more information, please do let me know and thank you!!

Man of Honour
Doesn't look fine to me. There is corrosion all along the top right edges and algae in the bottom of the block as well as a lot of nickel plating missing. I would say you haven't used enough biocide and no anti corrosive at all. That's bad for only a years use. You would have been better using Mayhems X1 clear which has all the additives you need for a loop. That loop will need stripping down and inspecting. Dismantle the gpu and cpu blocks and clean them up to see how bad it is. The radiator will need a proper flush as well.

Soldato
I would be more concerned about your quick disconnects tbh, seems like some of the nickel has come off them aswell, may cause them to leak/fail in the future.

edit: also if it's under 2 years you can might be able to get EK to send you a new nickel base.

Associate
Ill add my 2p , the biggest problem here is that EK's nickel plating is AWFUL, every nickel plated ek product i have owned had flaked to some degree.

Associate
OP
Thanks a ton for the advice guys! That was super informative immediately!

I'm going to take all your information and strip down the entire system. I've also sent a message to EK so waiting for a reply on their end.

I was concerned I didn't use enough Biocide but now that you mention it doesn't play well with Nickel, I'll be avoiding that and have ordered a bottle of Mayhem X1 Clear to use when its back together.

Temps were very very good, like they were when I first got it so i felt everything was fine. Will make sure to inspect it more often now.

Thanks again guys! Will update once ive done by inspecting.

Associate
OP
Just want to update that this can now be closed!

I opened up and looked inside and after speaking with EK I appear to be fine for now as long as I make sure to run this with the proper anti-corrosion next time. Just going to use premixes from now on.

Thanks a ton guys!

Back
Top Bottom