Help with first Watercooling Build

Associate
Gotcha, think I was over thinking it..

So when time to drain, turn the ball valve closed, remove 1 end of pipe, connect another to drain somewhere and open valve again.
Would make things awkward that way, best to use a t piece between the res and cpu in your image and have the ball valve separate. That way it's a the lowest point for easier draining

Ok. So if I need to connect two pieces of Petg pipe together to make a longer run, what would be the best way?

I've seen that the Res i'm looking at has 2 inlets and 1 out. But someone on another forum said they'd contacted XSPC who said that the second inlet could be used as a drain port without issue. So maybe that's the best way to do it. Stick a pipe out of there and cap it.

Ok! I decided to pull the trigger on Friday night and purchased all the main hardware. Also decided to get a EK block for the GPU and swap the CPU block for an EK RGB one to match.

Haven't purchased any pipes or fittings yet. Think I'll put it all in the case, and figure the routes out before doing that.

Reckon I'll do a proper build log of it too.

Associate
I haven't seen it mentioned yet so make sure you flush the rad out when you get it. Giving it a good clean to remove anything left over will make sure that it doesn't end up in your loop.

Looking forward to the build log!

Soldato
I just want to clarify something on your drain valve.

I would keep it closed at all times, only opening it when you’re ready to drain. Also, you might want to consider some rotary fittings (at least 1) so you can orientate valve properly. I have 3 on mine, one for each outlet.

Personally I’d recommend you go for soft tubing for your first outing. It’s much easier to work with, and doesn’t look terrible if it’s not quite right. I prefer the look of flexy anyway, but that’s a personal thing.

You made the right choice going for EK blocks, they’re fantastic. As for the radiator, awesome choice; I use the GTS series in my loop and I love them.

Last edited:
I haven't seen it mentioned yet so make sure you flush the rad out when you get it. Giving it a good clean to remove anything left over will make sure that it doesn't end up in your loop.

Yep will do, need to get some distilled water.

I would keep it closed at all times, only opening it when you’re ready to drain. Also, you might want to consider some rotary fittings (at least 1) so you can orientate valve properly. I have 3 on mine, one for each outlet.

Will look into. Was thinking perhaps running a piece of flexi from the second "in" on the pump (the one someone else mentioned can be used to drain) and have it capped off just waiting to be unplugged one day.

Personally I’d recommend you go for soft tubing for your first outing. It’s much easier to work with, and doesn’t look terrible if it’s not quite right. I prefer the look of flexy anyway, but that’s a personal thing.

I've gone back and forth on this. Ultimately, I wan't hard tubing. If I do flexi, then the very next day I'll be looking at buying hard tubing so I'd rather just cut out the middle man. I know it's going to be very difficult and I'm probably going to throw it out the window half way through.. but, atleast i'll have tried :D.

Think I'll buy a couple tubes first just for pure testing before purchasing the whole lot i'll need.

Associate
Think I'll buy a couple tubes first just for pure testing before purchasing the whole lot i'll need.
Just do what i did.

Buy the right size id / od tube but from a brand that has decided to be incompatible with your fittings of the same size. Set the tubing aside and don't realise until well past the returns window that the fit is off.
Then you have loads of spare tube!

I have to buy more tube. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom