• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help with GPU 4070TI issue

Just use another monitor and use any old cheap HDMI cable. Don't need a £50 cable. This will rule out the card, or suggest it is the problem.

Glitches you observe is usually RF interference, if it isn't a bad card. A poorly shielded cable can cause that.

Also stick to Chrome for diagnosing the problem. Hardware acceleration should be fine on Chrome.

I have my old 1080 60Hz monitor, but I assumed the extra oomph needed for a 4K 120Hz display brought out the fault with the GPU, that's why I haven't switched back. I will do it tomorrow.

"What's confusing is why your system is pushing the GPU so hard for simple video acceleration. What browser are you using?" Any further thoughts on this anomaly? I haven't changed any setting since I got the PC; Overclockers set it all up.

Hi there those that are interested in this.

I swapped back back to my 1080 monitor but the coil whine is still there and louder than any of the examples on Youtube, but turning off hardware acceleration brings it down to a tolerable level . Anyway, I think the noise has been a red herring; the main issue was/is the screen flickering.

I found a Youtuber that has covered this, but sadly his fix isn't a fix, it's a disabling of a main feature (G-SYNC VVR), but it's 2 comments that's grabbed my attention..... "Leave gsync enabled in the control panel and just disable fast boot in the bios and windows"

I'm not sure about trying to do that without trusted approval (this community), as I haven't a clue what it is, or if it's a nasty prank that would fry my system. Anyway, here's the guy's video

Reading the comments I get the feeling this problem is more widespread than what Google searching suggested. Three of the comments said replacing the HDMI cable to better quality brands, fixed the issue for them.

The fast boot thing is often something that causes black screens. I'd make the windows change. It's a good recommendation. I'd have it off regardless. Bios change shouldn't be needed.

Last edited:
I have not read all the replies here, so sorry if its been mentioned already.

How do you have the power cables for the GPU setup?

Is it option 1

1 - cable from PSU, in to the adaptor and then to the card
2- 2 x cables from the PSU to the adaptor and then to the GPU

I have a Zotac 4070 TI and I had 1 x cable running from the PSU (modular PSU) which had 2 x 6 pin connecters on to the supplied adaptor which turned in to 1 connecter to the GPU.

I found that the coil whine was reduced when I changed to 2 x cables from the PSU to the adaptor rather than running 1 cable that splits off.

I have not read all the replies here, so sorry if its been mentioned already.

How do you have the power cables for the GPU setup?

Is it option 1

1 - cable from PSU, in to the adaptor and then to the card
2- 2 x cables from the PSU to the adaptor and then to the GPU

I have a Zotac 4070 TI and I had 1 x cable running from the PSU (modular PSU) which had 2 x 6 pin connecters on to the supplied adaptor which turned in to 1 connecter to the GPU.

I found that the coil whine was reduced when I changed to 2 x cables from the PSU to the adaptor rather than running 1 cable that splits off.

Hi Ed, thanks for your input.

I don't know how OCers have set up the modular cables; I can have a look tomorrow and get back to you. The wattage of the PSU is 850w.

So, the flashing/tearing screen hasn't occurred again, even with the original HDMI 2.1 cable. I have now replaced that cable with a Cable-Matters HDMI 2.1 which was recommended in this thread, and tearing/flashing has not occurred with it yet, so hopefully the tweaks have fixed that. We have to be aware though, the flashing was intermittent and could be gone for hours at a time, before starting again.

Regarding the noise, that is not as bad since disabling hardware acceleration in the browser settings, but it is still present. It's likely coil whine but excessively loud and frequent, and apparent when it shouldn't be. From my understanding, coil whine is noticeable when the GPU is under moderate-heavy load.

Fast boot has been turned off in Windows. Fingers crossed it's all good.

Thanks everyone that responded. This community is the reason I don't buy from the big store on my doorstep.

The GPU going crazy (in afterburner) when playing video still?

The GPU and Mem MHz still spike when I hover over a link with the cursor, but nowhere near as loud and erratic as when 'hardware acceleration' was selected in the browser settings.

I need to get a controller/tuner installed. Currently using the stock Gigabyte Control Centre which is frowned upon by PC enthusiasts from what I read.

Back
Top Bottom