Help with Loud Fans

Soldato
I have these items below for the ITX part of my PC. Im using the phanteks controller on the case. (the secondary system uses the motherboard headers and is pretty quiet) It sounds like a wind turbine no matter what i set the BIOS fan settings to. So ive probably got something not quite right somewhere. any suggestions appreciated.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £928.05 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Soldato
So I'd check if it's wired correctly. There's probably one lead that's designated as the control signal, rather than a fan output. Maybe a photo might help?

Is the fan header set to PWM rather than DC voltage control?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
oh dear...hahaha..... 3 Things Wrong... such a muppet...

1. 4pin CPU connector for fan hub.. looked closer and id missed a pin, so it was connected wrong... FFS muppet error 1
  2. looked at FAN Hub the ONLY output I hadn't connected a Fan was the critical one it uses to control all fan speeds … FFS muppet error 2
  3. Checked BIOS and it was set to Voltage , I changed it to PWM.. and set the profile to Silent .. and it is.... FFS muppet error 3
sorted... just need to not rush my pc build when I get excited about new toys

Soldato
Glad it's working then :)

I built a crazy setup in my latest rig, had to construct my own joiner cables to bridge two fan controllers. Now, I have DC voltage control on my case for 5V/9V/12V, and PWM control of all fans via software. My pump runs directly off 12V but receives the same PWM signal.

It took lots of experimentation and dry runs, and it's a little messy in the back tray, but it works :)

Soldato
Is this 'fan controller' the 8x fan PWM fan controller? You do realize it is not a PWM fan controller but as PWM controlled variable voltage fan controller and unless it is plugged into a real PWM controlled fan header the fans plugged into it will run at full speed all the time.

Also your ML120 fans need to be PWM controlled for the ML bearings to work properly.

Soldato
Than PWM controller will vary the voltage if it is plugged into a PWM fan header. And I don't mean just any 4-pin fan header because just because a fan header is 4 pin does not mean its is always PWM.

Back
Top Bottom