Help with memory timings/overclock please

Associate
Hello all

It has been ages since I have overclocked anything so I wouldn't mind some help with my new build.

I have an Asus ROG STRIX B550-e Gaming Mobo, Ryzen 5600x and 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400MHz kit

I'd like to look at sorting out the memory frequency and timings:
So from what I have read the sweet spot is 3600MHz with tight timings?
I have downloaded Thaiphoon Burner and it tells me that its B-die
Thaiphoon.jpg

Using DRAM Calculator using FAS I get:
Fast.png

So I've tried putting those settings in BIOS and it simply won't boot. So do I need to increase the voltages for the RAM (Tried recommended and max) or do I also need to adjust the CPU voltages or can that be left alone? I don't particularly wan the CPU overclocked I think that I'd prefer the default behaviour and allow it to boost as it needs to. Any help greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Soldato
On my Asus CH7 there is a separate setting for the memory voltage applied at boot. I have no knowledge of your board but it sounds like something you might want to check out. I would also suggest starting off with just the primary timings (15-15-15-15-30), leaving the rest to auto and making sure you can get those stable before changing the next few settings and confirming stability. I would recommend Karhu's memory test utility it is payware but if you are serious about getting the best from your memory you will want something easy to use and relatively quick to find issues and this ticks all the boxes.

Soldato
Hello all

It has been ages since I have overclocked anything so I wouldn't mind some help with my new build.

I have an Asus ROG STRIX B550-e Gaming Mobo, Ryzen 5600x and 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400MHz kit

I'd like to look at sorting out the memory frequency and timings:
So from what I have read the sweet spot is 3600MHz with tight timings?
I have downloaded Thaiphoon Burner and it tells me that its B-die
Thaiphoon.jpg

Using DRAM Calculator using FAS I get:
Fast.png

So I've tried putting those settings in BIOS and it simply won't boot. So do I need to increase the voltages for the RAM (Tried recommended and max) or do I also need to adjust the CPU voltages or can that be left alone? I don't particularly wan the CPU overclocked I think that I'd prefer the default behaviour and allow it to boost as it needs to. Any help greatly appreciated
You will probably find you need gear down mode enabled to boot.

Soldato
@Joxeon Thank you for the tip Sah completed full test of TestMem5 with Extreme1 @anta777 config So its stable. However CPU-Z reports the CAS# Latency (CL) as 16 despite being set to 15 in BIOS??!

OC.jpg
With GDM on CL will always default to an even number but you can try and set CL to 14 although you may need 1.4-1.45v depending on the silicon.

Back
Top Bottom