Help with my hosting package please

Man of Honour
I'm a bit thick when it comes to stuff like this but I've been with Fasthosts since around 2003 and now decided I'm paying way over the odds for what I want.

My websites are www.disturbinthepeace.co.uk and www.mistreatedrock.co.uk which are both hosted by Fasthosts and are both very simple sites but do get lots of traffic.
I also like to FTP my pictures into a directory and then link to sites like OCUK.
My latest bill is going to be £82.79 but I'm sure I can do it a lot cheaper.

If somebody could pop over to Fasthosts and see what my options are I'd be grateful, for instance would the Cloud Server do what I need because it is a lot cheaper?

Here is my package now but if you want more info then let me know - http://www.disturbinthepeace.co.uk/pics3/fasthostsinfo.jpg

Thanks

Soldato
I currently have hosting with OVH Hosting and Simplexwebs.

If you want blazing fast British hosting with excellent management and support I'd recommend Simplexwebs. It's based in Manchester and I get faster speed and ping to Simplexwebs than I do with TSOhost which is far closer to London. Simplex aims to have less shared users per server and it does feel like the most responsive shared hosting I've used.

Simplex wont work out much cheaper though. Their entry package is £59.90/year for 5GB storage and 50GB monthly transfer. When you compare TSO with Simplex it's not really more expensive because TSO offer 2.5GB storage with 20GB monthly transfer for £35/year.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Lol. Fair enough. £82 for a year isn't bad but could be a damn sight better.

If we're talking less than 1000 views per day then the tsohost mentioned above would be fine.

https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting/cpanel-hosting

Thats the one.

Bloody hell -
What's the difference between the £14.99 cPanel and the £14.99 Cloud Server?
I've read the blurb but I don't know what it means by cPanel, when I update the site I make a page in Web Expression and then just FTP it.

So what's my best option really? Would you go Cloud or will I not know a lot of difference?
At the moment I'm copying all my Fasthosts directory over to my PC which will then give me an idea of how much space I need.

Soldato
Bloody hell -
What's the difference between the £14.99 cPanel and the £14.99 Cloud Server?
I've read the blurb but I don't know what it means by cPanel, when I update the site I make a page in Web Expression and then just FTP it.

So what's my best option really? Would you go Cloud or will I not know a lot of difference?
At the moment I'm copying all my Fasthosts directory over to my PC which will then give me an idea of how much space I need.

The cPanel Packages are based on a Linux Server. The Cloud Packages can use Windows or Linux Servers, which you choose once you have purchased the package.

Permabanned
Can you provide stats on how much bandwidth is been used any unique visits per month ?

The bandwidth that's used may be resulting in what you are linking on OcUK. Might be worth getting the images off and just using a free site like imagur or something like that.

Man of Honour
OP
Can you provide stats on how much bandwidth is been used any unique visits per month ?

The bandwidth that's used may be resulting in what you are linking on OcUK. Might be worth getting the images off and just using a free site like imagur or something like that.

It will be really low but I do have stuff in other directories.
Up to yet I have over 1gb so I will need the £2.99 service - but which one?

Soldato
but what does that mean to an idiot?
Explain it as though I'm 5 please :D

At the end of the day for what you're using it for the differences between windows/linux hosting won't be noticed. I'd advise sticking to Linux based ones just because that's what you're used to.

I don't think you'd really notice much if any change but better to stick with the devil you know :).

Man of Honour
OP
I've just had a reply from Fasthosts so is that a good deal or am I still better going with Tsohost?

Dear David,

Further to your enquiry (1428-0005),

I understand that £82.79 is a bit expensive for website and email hosting package. But that package is our Legacy package so that was expensive before until now. If you wish to pay less than that, you can have our new Business Bronze package which will cost you £58.66 per year including VAT. Much lesser than your current package per year. However, you need to have a back up of your website files and emails to avoid loss of data. If you do have a developer of your website as well, please confirm it if your website is not using a CDONTS scripts to avoid downtime of your website.

Business Bronze Package:

Should you have further concern, please let me know.

Best regards,

El Nino Gimena - Techincal Support
Fasthosts Customer Support

Soldato
Personally I'd go with tsohosts. Not to bad mouth fasthosts but from second hand experience their name is a bit of a misnomer.

I don't use tso myself but they're highly reccomended here.

Soldato
From your screenshot in the OP, you appear to be running a Windows 2003 Server. Within TSOHost's architecture, you'll be able to host a Windows Server should you wish to. Personally, I'd go with Linux but that is all I have ever used on web servers. The only real difference will be if you have websites developed in Microsoft technologies, such as ASP. If your pages are straightforward HTML, CSS, PHP etc, then Linux is fine and will allow you to FTP in as needed.

In terms of packages, with the TSO Host Standard Service (£2.99 per month) you're getting 2.5GB of storage and 20GB of bandwidth. Whereas, with the Fasthosts package that they're offering you, you'll get 50GB of storage and unlimited bandwidth*. But, if I am reading things correctly you can only host one site with the Fasthost package, whereas you can host 4 sites on the TSO package - so the costs could mount quite quickly again with Fasthosts.

I host all of my sites, and customer sites with TSO Host. Every time I take on a new customer, I migrate them to my hosting with TSO and am very happy with the service they provide. The support is excellent, pricing is fair and reliability is fantastic. A quick search on the Forum will show you that I'm not the only one that thinks this.

* Although I suspect that will be dealt with in the terms of Fair Usage Policy.

Permabanned
I've just had a reply from Fasthosts so is that a good deal or am I still better going with Tsohost?

Dear David,

Further to your enquiry (1428-0005),

I understand that £82.79 is a bit expensive for website and email hosting package. But that package is our Legacy package so that was expensive before until now. If you wish to pay less than that, you can have our new Business Bronze package which will cost you £58.66 per year including VAT. Much lesser than your current package per year. However, you need to have a back up of your website files and emails to avoid loss of data. If you do have a developer of your website as well, please confirm it if your website is not using a CDONTS scripts to avoid downtime of your website.

Business Bronze Package:

Should you have further concern, please let me know.

Best regards,

El Nino Gimena - Techincal Support
Fasthosts Customer Support

If you are still search will suggest to take a look at : WebhostUK , they reliable and cost wise far more cheaper than Fasthost.

Back
Top Bottom