Help with my new car - Vauxhall Astra 1.6 8v Club 2004

Soldato
Took it to a garage close to me and was quoted around £200
That is ridiculous.

I had my Golf GTI thermostat changed and that was connected to the cam belt right at the bottom of the engine.

I got it done for £120 incl part. Think you need to try another garage.

Try the OBD reader as suggested.

Also. Did you drill a hole in the thermostat?

I’m assuming you followed a guide online?

Associate
OP
That is ridiculous.

I had my Golf GTI thermostat changed and that was connected to the cam belt right at the bottom of the engine.

That is ridiculous.

Yes I drilled a 2mm hole in the thermostat, I’ll try a different garage as well but don’t suspect it to be the thermostat anymore.

Associate
OP
The car does have a few mods however I don’t see these causing an issue to the temp. It’s got a performance exhaust header, middle box delete, lowered and alloys obviously none of this should affect the temp but always good to make sure.

Soldato
Changing the exhaust header/manifold usually need a retune. But I doubt a 1.6 Astra is reaching the limits of it's stock header tbh so probably best to go back to stock and retest it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Changing the exhaust header/manifold usually need a retune. But I doubt a 1.6 Astra is reaching the limits of it's stock header tbh so probably best to go back to stock and retest it.
Bought the car like it no idea what it’s had done apart from what they told me

EDIT: I’ll go to a scrap yard and pick one up next week probably see if there’s a change. Any ideas if this could cause it to run rough too? Because if I give it a bit of pressure it starts running rough and then to stop it I need to turn it off and on again.

Soldato
Just to recap.

So you’ve added a new thermostat and replaced the temp sensor?

Does the gauge reach correct temps at a standstill and still drop when driving?

Have you tried OBD reader yet to see what actual temp the water is running at when the car has heated up?

Associate
OP
Just to recap.

So you’ve added a new thermostat and replaced the temp sensor?

Does the gauge reach correct temps at a standstill and still drop when driving?

Have you tried OBD reader yet to see what actual temp the water is running at when the car has heated up?

Yep replaced all that and yes it will heat up at idle but as soon as I go 30mph it drops to just above the cold line. My OBD scanner doesn’t report temps so I’m going to have to buy a new one and wait for that to be delivered. It’s not losing coolant, oil or any other fluids. I have realised that it heats up much quicker since replacing the sensor but don’t know How that’s useful.

Back
Top Bottom