Help with new Ryzen build - Video editing / 1440p 144Hz gaming

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been out of the PC building game for 10 years so know nothing of model numbers or compatibility.

I'd like to replace my trusty PC with a video editing / 1440p 144Hzx gaming rig that can handle 4K footage and games like Battlefield 1 maxed out at 1440p. Looking around I would like a Ryzen 3700x with 32GB RAM, M.2 SSD and 5700XT GC.

I'm not interested in RGB of flashy cases and would like to build a quiet rig that won't take off when hammering the CPU or GC.

I've checked out a couple of the part picking sites and always get a 4Pin PSU missing or the CPU cooler won't fit so wanted to ask you guys for help.

I like the sound of the MSI Carbon for the better sound and 2 X M.2 slots but otherwise happy to go with your recommendations.

My budget is £1500 inc VAT (just for the PC)

Associate
What editing program(s) do you use? I only ask because you'll gain performance on Premier/After Effects using an Nvidia Card.

The 5700XT 10+% faster than 2060 super in gaming
2060 super 10% Faster than 5700XT in AE and Premier.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What editing program(s) do you use? I only ask because you'll gain performance on Premier/After Effects using an Nvidia Card.

The 5700XT 10+% faster than 2060 super in gaming
2060 super 10% Faster than 5700XT in AE and Premier.

That's a great question. I'm new to video exiting so don't have any preference. It's mainly for my business so won't require anything too 'professional' as long as I can cut it all together, add titles, transitions and music.

edit. I've had a blast with DaVinci Resolve on my old PC and think I may be OK with that.

Associate
That's a great question. I'm new to video exiting so don't have any preference. It's mainly for my business so won't require anything too 'professional' as long as I can cut it all together, add titles, transitions and music.

edit. I've had a blast with DaVinci Resolve on my old PC and think I may be OK with that.

I wouldn't worry too much about performance difference then if its only being used for the occasional edit. If you plan to spend much more time gaming than editing, then the 5700XT will be fine. But the opposite is true if you are spending more time editing, a lot of people (example) recommend the 2060Super over the 5700XT for it's video Encoding performance.

Link to resolve edit Benchmarks (August 2019, so driver compatibility might be the issue and could have improved).

Really its down to use.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't worry too much about performance difference then if its only being used for the occasional edit. If you plan to spend much more time gaming than editing, then the 5700XT will be fine. But the opposite is true if you are spending more time editing, a lot of people (example) recommend the 2060Super over the 5700XT for it's video Encoding performance.

Link to resolve edit Benchmarks (August 2019, so driver compatibility might be the issue and could have improved).

Really its down to use.

Thanks @ACTM.

This is kinda what I'm looking at.

Ryzen 7 3800X
Noctua NH-D15
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4-3600
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280
PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT RedDevil
Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower
Still looking at PSU's

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour
I just need to check out the case as it's not one I've seen before
i wouldn't recommend something i wouldn't use :p
the only downside is that it comes with a solitary 120mm fan. hence the spec for 2 extra 140mm fans
(move the 120mm fan to the rear for exhaust and use the 2x 140mm fans for front intake)

Man of Honour
Associate
I would personally go for something like that if I was speccing up a machine at your price point. I make heavy use of AE/C4D + occasional premiere along with a lot of gaming and I'd be happy with it.

To keep below £1500, if need be the 3700x would be a decent enough cpu, the £180 you might save can go on an extra SSD + aftermarket cooler.

Man of Honour
Is the stock cooler OK? I'm happy to upgrade it for a quieter/better solution.
stock cooler is decent enough. adding an aftermarket cooler will (obviously) put the 3900x spec well overbudget
as i've mentioned, resolve is more gpu limited than cpu, but having 12c on the 3900x rather than the 8c of the 3700x/3800x gives you options if you change to another software eg adobe/vegas etc

Soldato
OP
i wouldn't recommend something i wouldn't use :p
the only downside is that it comes with a solitary 120mm fan. hence the spec for 2 extra 140mm fans
(move the 120mm fan to the rear for exhaust and use the 2x 140mm fans for front intake)

Thanks. I've just had look and it seems ideal. Like a bit of positive pressure!

Back
Top Bottom