Help with new Ryzen build

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new computer built solely for work purposes. It will need to be able to run 6-8 virtual machines at ones (nothing too heavy, just slot machines running on each).

After speaking to a few people, I've come up with the following parts list, but I'm not great with computers and this will be my first build so just want to check it will be fine for what I need.

Parts list: https://gyazo.com/a8cd13ea5ea6da5e9f058267d21c6913

It also needs to be able to hook up to 3 of these monitors because I already have them: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-p2717h-27-1920x1080-ips-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-08c-de.html

Appreciate any help!

Caporegime
That GFX card wont work as it doesnt have the right outputs.
It has HDMI and Displayport which is good.

But it has a DVI-D port and not DVI-I (which includes analog signal) to then be able to use a converter or DVI-VGA cable to the last monitor.

Associate
OP
You can get faster ram for less money, do you need such an high end board ? and the psu is not the best.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Thanks for the help, I've changed the RAM. Not sure about the board - I did think it was a little pricey for what I need. I got all the parts from someone else.

Would this one do the job: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69w-as.html

or would you recommend something else / can I go even cheaper?

As for the PSU, should I increase the Wattage or go up to sliver?

Thanks again.

That GFX card wont work as it doesnt have the right outputs.

It has HDMI and Displayport which is good.

But it has a DVI-D port and not DVI-I (which includes analog signal) to then be able to use a converter or DVI-VGA cable to the last monitor.

Thanks so much, been looking for an answer to this for a while.

Would this GFX card do the job? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-106-zt.html

As it has 3 DP outputs, I take it I could hook all 3 monitors up via DP?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes that gfx card works, but that is a an expensive card for just a business pc.

Thanks, I'll shop around, cards are quite thin on the ground atm.

Would it be better to have something that has 3x DP ports so I don't have to bother with converters?

Soldato
As for the PSU, should I increase the Wattage or go up to sliver?

Could go less wattage (as long as it can run your eventual GPUs etc), more quality and warranty. Something like a SuperFlower Golden Green 450W 80+Gold (out of stock right now). The grey label Corsair CX Bronzes with 5 year warranty aren't a bad shout either.

What about that M.2 WD Green? Just to separate OS/programs from other stuff on the other drive? It's slower and has less endurance than the Crucial MX300 525GB SSD. Price seems to have gone up to £59.99 too. Crucial price up £10 too. So, if you're looking at £210 for both of them (645GB), may as well spend £240 on a 1TB SSD?

Associate
OP
Could go less wattage (as long as it can run your eventual GPUs etc), more quality and warranty. Something like a SuperFlower Golden Green 450W 80+Gold (out of stock right now). The grey label Corsair CX Bronzes with 5 year warranty aren't a bad shout either.

What about that M.2 WD Green? Just to separate OS/programs from other stuff on the other drive? It's slower and has less endurance than the Crucial MX300 525GB SSD. Price seems to have gone up to £59.99 too. Crucial price up £10 too. So, if you're looking at £210 for both of them (645GB), may as well spend £240 on a 1TB SSD?

Yeah the idea is to put the main system & Windows 10 onto the M.2 and then use the 525gb for the VM's, as I'll be assigning 60GB per Windows 7 VM.

Thanks for advice re PSU, will take a look.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Soldato
Yeah the idea is to put the main system & Windows 10 onto the M.2 and then use the 525gb for the VM's, as I'll be assigning 60GB per Windows 7 VM.

Gotcha. Once you're done with the spec, see if you have £20 to spare (£80 instead of £60 for an M.2), and find yourself a Samsung SM961 Polaris 128GB M.2. That's a proper, fast M.2., and with quality NAND. Slightly cheaper you can find the PM961 version.

Associate
OP
Gotcha. Once you're done with the spec, see if you have £20 to spare (£80 instead of £60 for an M.2), and find yourself a Samsung SM961 Polaris 128GB M.2. That's a proper, fast M.2., and with quality NAND. Slightly cheaper you can find the PM961 version.

Cheers, budget isn't too much of an issue at this stage, so I'll change to that SSD now.

Found this Corsair bronze, looks about right I think?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...nze-power-supply-cp-9020123-uk-ca-23a-cs.html

Soldato
Cheers, budget isn't too much of an issue at this stage, so I'll change to that SSD now.

Found this Corsair bronze, looks about right I think?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...nze-power-supply-cp-9020123-uk-ca-23a-cs.html

Nope. More wattage doesn't equal better (or better value for money). Since you're only needing a 350W PSU right now, by the time you're spending that much there are much better 450 or 550W options.

Try one of these, for example (going up all the way to the price you were willing to pay for that 750 CX):

Total: £968.20
(includes shipping: £22.50)

Associate
OP
Nope. More wattage doesn't equal better (or better value for money). Since you're only needing a 350W PSU right now, by the time you're spending that much there are much better 450 or 550W options.

Try one of these, for example (going up all the way to the price you were willing to pay for that 750 CX):

Total: £968.20
(includes shipping: £22.50)

Right I get you, so the choice of GPU determines how much wattage I'll need. Just seen that in the specs it gives a minimum recommendation so once decided on that I'll take a look at that list. Thanks so much, learning all the time haha :)

Those 2 GPU's you recommended look like they'll be fine for what I need. Is it just as easy to set up 2?

Soldato
Right I get you, so the choice of GPU determines how much wattage I'll need. Just seen that in the specs it gives a minimum recommendation so once decided on that I'll take a look at that list. Thanks so much, learning all the time haha :)

No worries mate. You're doing alright for your first build. Yes choice of GPUs and CPU, and any overclocking (in your case just CPU overclocking, no point overclocking GPUs for the work you'll be doing). The number of drives you see yourself eventually using can have a bearing too, not in terms of wattage really but in terms of number of SATA cables, although you can find splitters too. Point being, if two PSUs cost about the same, and you're not sure which to go for, the number of cables could make the decision for you. In such cases the more wattage a PSU has, the more cables, usually. Just an example.

Right now, with those 2 x low-power GPUs, even if you overclock the CPU, a good 350W PSU would be comfortable. And with a good 450W it's already overkill but might as well.

Those 2 GPU's you recommended look like they'll be fine for what I need. Is it just as easy to set up 2?

I've only got the one screen and one GPU with me. So someone else can tell you that with certainty. Having watched a few vids that are fairly up-to-date it doesn't look complicated. Nvidia Control Panel > Set up multiple displays > tick the displays. Your three monitors are all the same so that should help avoid any little issues people sometimes encounter with monitors of a different resolution or refresh rate. There's also a "Surround Spanning options" button in there, for you to set them up just how you want.

See this vid for example, 2:00 in and onwards:

You'd need two Display Port and one HDMI cable, or two HDMI and one Display Port cable, if you go with this set-up. Maybe your Dell monitors came with some.

Associate
OP
No worries mate. You're doing alright for your first build. Yes choice of GPUs and CPU, and any overclocking (in your case just CPU overclocking, no point overclocking GPUs for the work you'll be doing). The number of drives you see yourself eventually using can have a bearing too, not in terms of wattage really but in terms of number of SATA cables, although you can find splitters too. Point being, if two PSUs cost about the same, and you're not sure which to go for, the number of cables could make the decision for you. In such cases the more wattage a PSU has, the more cables, usually. Just an example.

Right now, with those 2 x low-power GPUs, even if you overclock the CPU, a good 350W PSU would be comfortable. And with a good 450W it's already overkill but might as well.

I've only got the one screen and one GPU with me. So someone else can tell you that with certainty. Having watched a few vids that are fairly up-to-date it doesn't look complicated. Nvidia Control Panel > Set up multiple displays > tick the displays. Your three monitors are all the same so that should help avoid any little issues people sometimes encounter with monitors of a different resolution or refresh rate. There's also a "Surround Spanning options" button in there, for you to set them up just how you want.

See this vid for example, 2:00 in and onwards:

You'd need two Display Port and one HDMI cable, or two HDMI and one Display Port cable, if you go with this set-up. Maybe your Dell monitors came with some.

Thanks, can easily order those cables in if I haven't got them. From the video it looks like a piece of cake to setup once I get it built.

Final thing I'm going to try and do is save some money on the motherboard because from what I've read it's quite high spec for what I need.

Currently got this one: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69w-as.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice find. That's the DVI version though. There's a non-DVI version of that PNY Quadro P400 that has mini-DP-to-DP adapters ( http://www.pny.com/nvidia-quadro-p400 ). The DVI version appears to come with mini-DP-to-DVI adapters.

Can still use it, just need three DP-to-mini-DP cables, to bypass the DVI adapters and plug straight into the card.

Or just find the non-DVI version elsewhere, and use three Display Port cables.

Associate
OP
Nice find. That's the DVI version though. There's a non-DVI version of that PNY Quadro P400 that has mini-DP-to-DP adapters ( http://www.pny.com/nvidia-quadro-p400 ). The DVI version appears to come with mini-DP-to-DVI adapters.

Can still use it, just need three DP-to-mini-DP cables, to bypass the DVI adapters and plug straight into the card.

Or just find the non-DVI version elsewhere, and use three Display Port cables.

Haha yeah I just realised that and deleted what I wrote. If I can find the non-DVI version it seems like it'll be alright.

Soldato
Final thing I'm going to try and do is save some money on the motherboard because from what I've read it's quite high spec for what I need.

Currently got this one: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69w-as.html

Yeah. All you need is a B350 around the £100 price range. The more expensive X370 are mostly for SLI/Crossfire, and the higher up you go, better audio, more SATA, more USB, more M.2/U.2, more power phases for overclocking (which doesn't make much difference for Ryzen). If you don't need any of those extra features, then don't overpay.

Back
Top Bottom