• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help with Photoshop not working with my Graphics Card and coming up with this error

Associate
Hi all, wondered if anyone here could advise me if its worth upgrading or do I need a new PC for this to work.

So I've just bought Photoshop 2024 and getting this "error your graphic processor is incompatible

Direct X feature level 11.0 available, feature level 12.0 required"

It loads but is so sluggish doing anything really and don't know if this is cause of this error or its using a mad load of ram or what.

I take it this means my graphics card is not directx 12 compatible and in direct x diagnostics display tab says this too it just shows 11 and doesn't mention a 12. Not sure its as simple as getting a new graphics card cause would work for me as would this not be compatible with my PC.

Here is my spec and its now an oldie I know, wanted to wait till next year to buy a new one and don't think its worth buying a brand new PC now just to run photoshop as its only for generative fill I wanted it for, I have affinity photo which runs fine on my PC

Thermaltake Core V51 Case
Asus Z170-K Motherboard
32GB RAM
Intel Core i5-6600K Skylake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.5 - 3.9GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Graphics Card
500 ssd operating system drive
2TB storage drive
FSP 80 PLUS Silver 750W PSU

Would buying a new graphics card work for me or would I need a whole new PC really as my motherboard would need updating for one of these direct x graphic cards?

Associate
Try the following - found under the edit menu

1. Enable the Older GPU Mode option in Preferences > Technology Previews > “Use Older GPU Mode (pre 2016)”
  2. If you are still having trouble, try enabling the Deactivate Native Canvas option in Technology Previews.
A new graphics card would work also, you wont need a new PC. I don't know what features are disabled (if anything noticeable) are effected by enabling the older gpu mode.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Try the following - found under the edit menu

1. Enable the Older GPU Mode option in Preferences > Technology Previews > “Use Older GPU Mode (pre 2016)”
  2. If you are still having trouble, try enabling the Deactivate Native Canvas option in Technology Previews.
A new graphics card would work also, you wont need a new PC. I don't know what features are disabled (if anything noticeable) are effected by enabling the older gpu mode.

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate the help.

Yeah gone in and set it now to use older GPU mode and restarted photoshop and still shows me the direct x error. I couldn't see any mention of deactive native canvas I just see this in technology previews https://prnt.sc/y8wyN8AAYNl8 maybe they took this out as an option

These are my performance settings https://prnt.sc/4fdlZZqUND6A should these be changed do you think for my spec

Certainly doesn't seem as sluggish as it did with this setting Use Older GPU Mode (pre 2016) and I disabled animated zoom cause think this was also slow to zoom in and out, I like to have this as mouse wheel to zoom and seems more smoother than it did do.

Associate
I don't know to be honest,
I copied the response from https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html I see others who have questioned the error you receive and the response from adobe is to upgrade the gpu.

I expect the new versions of photoshop are built to use specific code paths that directX12 use.
Something like a 1050 would be the most cost effective option (£50 used) or perhaps a 1650 or even arc 380 would be more power efficient and faster as they are a lot newer. either can be had around the £100 mark second hand.
Your system as a whole is getting on, however if the rest of it works, and your happy with what it does. Just getting a newer gpu should fix the photoshop issues.

- edit you could try unticking the "use graphics processor"

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't know to be honest,
I copied the response from https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html I see others who have questioned the error you receive and the response from adobe is to upgrade the gpu.

I expect the new versions of photoshop are built to use specific code paths that directX12 use.
Something like a 1050 would be the most cost effective option (£50 used) or perhaps a 1650 or even arc 380 would be more power efficient and faster as they are a lot newer. either can be had around the £100 mark second hand.
Your system as a whole is getting on, however if the rest of it works, and your happy with what it does. Just getting a newer gpu should fix the photoshop issues.

Cheers bud, yeah its still decent PC, got from chillblast and did set to update this black friday but other things cropped up and its still running and good enough for what I use it for really, hopefully it will hold out till next year's black friday.

With that change you said though such an improvement in it being more fluent to do things as before it was taking a few seconds to do anything when you click things which was highly annoying. Hoping it will be useable now, I'll look into some ideal settings for Ram with it and lower specs PCs, maybe I could alter this some to make it more faster. I'll also look into this 1650 card you suggested, want something relatively new but won't need a gaming beast of a card as don't do PC gaming anymore.

Cheers again

Associate
I just upgraded to the latest (was on v23 previously) - The new AI stuff does run fine with the "use graphics processor" unticked. - Try that. Photoshop does feel a bit sluggish overall though.

Associate
OP
I just upgraded to the latest (was on v23 previously) - The new AI stuff does run fine with the "use graphics processor" unticked. - Try that. Photoshop does feel a bit sluggish overall though.

Thanks I'll try that too then, yeah shame you can't turn off features you won't use and have it more lightweight, took ages to install it so must be quite beefy with features that I simply won't use, oh well I got it for £65 for the year in the amazon black friday deal.

Associate
OP
FYI: the IGP in your 6600K is DirectX 12 compatible with a higher feature level than your 750 Ti.

Right didn't know that, thanks for the info, how would I get photoshop set to this, I take its more than just unticking use graphics processor in performance preferences.

Man of Honour
Right didn't know that, thanks for the info, how would I get photoshop set to this, I take its more than just unticking use graphics processor in performance preferences.
I don't think they have passthrough, so you'd need to plug the monitor into your motherboard.

Associate
OP
I had a 750 and I had to upgrade to a Zotac 1050ti and it works a treat in PS 2024 + Lightroom Classic.

Thanks Russ, yeah getting it to work on mine at the moment when I use it but certainly worth considering if it starts to develop issues.

Back
Top Bottom